Re: [mythsoc] Re: Smithsonian does The Hobbit

  • Tony Zbaraschuk
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 6, 2013
      On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 02:28:59PM -0000, lord_of_the_teleri wrote:
      > I am with Tony Zbaraschuk on his differentiation but have to say I
      > am very much impressed if he can distinguish flawlessly between all
      > sources :) Do give it a try at World of Warcraft and see what is
      > Tolkien and what not.

      Oh, there are lots of changes, and lots of reactions, in the field.

      "Orc" in particular seems to have undergone a shift from Tolkien's
      "low-class brute" to something more like what tvtropes.org would
      call "Proud Warrior Race Guy."

      And almost nobody gets Tolkien's elves right -- they tend to look
      more like "woods-dweller with bows" than "immortal artist"

      Tony Z

      --
      A picture is worth a thousand words.
      A map is worth a thousand pictures.