Re: SF

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 1999
      FrMacKen@... wrote:

      > Aside from the X-Files and the excellent Star Trek: The Next
      > Generation, I myself am not a big SF fan.

      Hey, those are a good start. Have you read much classic SF?

      > In fact, I have never seen the original Star Wars.

      It's kind of hard to avoid; have you been off-planet? :-)

      > To me, there is something very natural about well-written
      > fantasy. Something that seems to be missing from SF. However, that is
      > only MY opinion. Others may have differing opinions on SF.

      Likely the first stories were fantasies of a kind, partly because to our
      predecessors, *all* of the world was wonder-filled. They've been told
      for a long time. What's missing (from some hard SF, not all hard SF by
      any means) is character. In the best SF, the characters are well-drawn,
      and a definite part of the story. You just have to find the ones that
      work for you.

      > I think some of us fantasy lovers are enamoured of Britain, whence much
      > of the tales of Elves and Wizards had their beginnings.

      You may be right on some level; I love Arthuriana, and a lot of fantasy
      draws from that stream. ---djb.

      A soon to be member, (I think)
      Ron

      C'mon, Ron, jump in. We'd love it.