Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien, magic and the spiritual dimension

  • OLUWATOYIN ADEPOJU
    Message 1 of 142 , Dec 20, 2012
      Thanks, John. Asimov. Foundation series. For me particularly in the awesome narrative  of how the Mule was outwitted and the Second Foundation kept concealed. Also it seems, "Night", the story of the stars coming out once in a thousand years (?)

      Could you say which Asimov you have in mind?

      While one is on science fiction,another master there is Clifford Simak, as in "The Marathon Photograph"  and "The Whistling Chair".

      David Zindell is in a  class of his own, particularly with Neverness and also its sequels. I have not been able to make progress in reading his fantasy writing.

      Which Zindell works do you have in mind?

      Will check oput Asimov on sci-fi. I get the impression his Cosmos TV series, which should be available as film and book, are also evocative of awe. His essay on "Life" in the Britannica 1971 and 2002 is something else. Unforgettable.

      Will research and read Morris, Noon and Coupland.

      Thank you very much.

      toyin

      On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:31 PM, John Davis <john@...> wrote:

      Other people on the list have already mentioned several I had in mind. Others might include William Morris for fantasy, then reaching further afield, sci fi authors such as Asimov, David Zindell, Carl Sagan, Jeff Noon.

      And, though I may be alone here, I'd also say Coupland. Though he has reputation for being more style than substance, to my mind at his best he is the very opposite - finding the beautiful and numinous within the trappings of so-called soulless modern culture. Generation X and Girlfriend in a Coma, in particular, have  breathtaking flashes of the transcendent.

      Hmm. Having said all of which, now I think on it, I don't know for certain that all of the above are definitely aethiests. Morris and Asimov yes, or at least, Google seems to back me up there, and Sagan was certainly at least agnostic, but I'm not sure of the others. They seem that way inclined from their writing and what I know of them, but don't quote me on it!

      John

      Message 142 of 142 , Dec 23, 2012
        John Rateliff has given a more authoritative word, if coming from Roger Lancelyn Green, as well as a very sensible perspective. (He seems endowed with great sense, judging from his postings.) I had felt because of Tolkien's later letters (e.g., no. 252 to his son Michael) and Carpenter's biography (and Colin Duriez and others who follow him) that the 'cooling' (word first used by Carpenter?) in Tolkien and Lewis's relationship began or was accelerated by the arrival of Charles Williams in Oxford during the war, and the immediacy with which he and Lewis became intimate friends. It is popular knowledge of course that Tolkien wasn't fond of the Narnia stories, but I had never encountered the opinion offered by Bruce Charlton on the blog (http://notionclubpapers.blogspot.com/2012/08/timing-and-causes-of-breakdown-of.html) that Lewis's writing of The Chronicles was the breaking point in their relationship, or that Tolkien saw that as a violation of their original pact to both write some fiction where the chief characters discover or enact myth, which Lewis finished in good time (his Ransom trilogy under the theme of space-travel) and Tolkien--'that great but dilatory and unmethodical man', as Lewis commented in a letter on whether Tolkien's contribution to their agreement would ever be completed--never did (his The Notional Club Papers, under the theme of time-travel). Neither did Tolkien approve of several other of Lewis's works and certainly was bothered by Lewis's (mostly unsought) position as a popular articulater and defender of 'mere Christianity' to a generation (I think because he thought it improper for one without professional theological training to assume such a role (Austin Farrer would have been better suited, from the Anglican position, I assume Tolkien would say (indeed if he did not say so himself somewhere))--even if such a role was foisted upon Lewis--and he disagreed with many of Lewis's theological views due to their differing from traditional Catholic dogma--for example, in Letter 83 (1944) Tolkien commented that 'there is a good deal of Ulster still left in C.S.L. if hidden from himself'; and Tolkien was working on a commentary of objections to views presented Lewis's Letters to Malcolm which he never finished or shared with him, but which he was privately referring to as 'The Ulsterior Motive'). I would still guess (though Charlton has disagreed) that Tolkien was somewhat jealous over Lewis's quick and intimate friendship with Williams, which somewhat displaced him as an influence on Lewis, as well as Lewis's productivity and growing popularity beginning with his war broadcasts and the publication of The Screwtape Letters (1942), which incidentally was the only of his works ever dedicated to Tolkien. That, based on my limited exposure to the literature, is the explanation of the beginning of the 'cooling' with the most evidence, including Tolkien's own recollections about the arrival of Williams in Oxford and his (spoiling) influence over Lewis's writing (again see Letter 252). But Rateliff's common sense observation certainly also seems right, that 'friendships are complicated, and the ending of a long-time one is tragic but hardly unprecedented or strange', and so accumulative and thus difficult to trace to a specific event or point in time, as well as the apparent testimony of Roger Lancelyn Green Rateliff relayed by Rateliff that 'the cooling of the Lewis/Tolkien friendship was mutual, which seems to be far more likely than that Tolkien didn't like something Lewis had written and unfriended him on the spot'.

        Travis

        On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 7:27 AM, John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

        On Dec 21, 2012, at 2:00 PM, dale nelson wrote:
        That may well be (sadly) true.  If it is true, a cause might be listfolk dwelling on the cooling of the Lewis-Tolkien friendship.  There was some discussion at this blog

        a few months ago on the topic.

        Dale

        Thanks for the link, Dale. Having just read the post and skimmed the comments (what do those folks have against Spenser, anyway?), have to say I'm entirely unconvinced that the breakdown of a friendship of twenty-plus years' standing can be easily dated and traced to a single simple event. In some cases, yes; in this particular one, no.  Roger Lancelyn Green told me the cooling of the Lewis/Tolkien friendship was mutual, which seems to be far more likely than that Tolkien didn't like something Lewis had written and unfriended him on the spot. Besides which the blogger's theory that CSL's starting Narnia violated the Lewis/Tolkien space-travel/time-travel pact doesn't take into account other works Lewis or Tolkien had worked on during that time that didn't fit into either category, like JRRT's FARMER GILES or CSL's THE GREAT DIVORCE, to name but two.

        In short, too pat. Friendships are complicated, and the ending of a long-time one is tragic but hardly unprecedented or strange.

        --John R.