Christopher Tolkien's successor?

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2012
      Among those who've worked with the estate, when Christopher passes (hopefully long from now) is there any sense of who would take over as literary executor of the Estate? It seems to me based on the Wikipedia page that Michael George Reuel Tolkien, CRRT's son, has the right academic background but perhaps he has no interest?

      Just curious.

      Paul Westermeyer
      paul.westermeyer@...

      "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_
    • Troels Forchhammer
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2012
        There is also Adam Tolkien (son of Christopher and Baillie) who already works for the Estate, who has helped translate some of his grandfather's works into French (according to the Tolkien Gateway article).

        /Troels

        On 20 December 2012 17:16, Westermeyer GS11 Paul W <paul.westermeyer@...> wrote:
        Among those who've worked with the estate, when Christopher passes (hopefully long from now) is there any sense of who would take over as literary executor of the Estate?  It seems to me based on the Wikipedia page that Michael George Reuel Tolkien, CRRT's son, has the right academic background but perhaps he has no interest?

        Just curious.

        Paul Westermeyer
        paul.westermeyer@...

        "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
        J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
            Love while you've got
                love to give.
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 20, 2012
          Michael George Tolkien is not the son of Christopher Tolkien, but of his
          deceased brother, Michael H.R. Tolkien. By far the eldest of JRRT's
          grandchildren, Michael George is a senior citizen himself now, turning 70
          next month, and as far as I know he's never been involved in the editing of
          his grandfather's works. He's not a very logical choice as a successor. As
          Troels notes, Adam Tolkien has been assisting his father for a while now.