Top Ten Mythopoeic books

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 16, 2000
      Here is my list:

      1. J. R. R. Tolkien *Lord of the Rings* trilogy
      2. Tolkien *The Hobbit.*
      3. C. S. Lewis *The Chronicles of Narnia*
      4. C. S. Lewis Space Trilogy [Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That
      Hideous Strength]
      5. Madeline L'Engle *Wrinkle In Time* trilogy
      6. Lewis Carroll *Alice In Wonderland* and *Through the Looking Glass*
      7. G. K. Chesterton *The Man Who Was Thursday*
      8. George MacDonald *Lilith*
      9. George MacDonald *Phantastes*
      10. Gene Wolfe. *The Book of the New Sun*

      11. George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books will be 10 1/2 when the
      entire story is finished.

      Thanks for the chance to respond. I could make up a very long list, for
      there are so many wonderful books that would probably go on a list; the top
      five were easy; it gets harder when titles clamor for a place and I have to
      rigidly select.

      Diane Joy Baker
      dianejoy@...
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2000
        alexeik@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 9/17/0 11:07:42 PM, Sophie wrote:
        >
        > <<hey, the Ossianic story has not been tackled by a fantasy writer before!>>
        >
        > Actually it has -- by Diana Paxson and Adrienne Martine-Barnes.

        Title? Publisher?

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 19, 2000
          In a message dated 9/19/0 1:56:10 AM, Margaret wrote:

          <<> <<hey, the Ossianic story has not been tackled by a fantasy writer
          before!>>

          > Actually it has -- by Diana Paxson and Adrienne Martine-Barnes.

          Title? Publisher?

          The third volume (which I have) is called _Sword of Fire and Shadow_
          (AvoNova/Morrow). I don't recall the titles of the two earlier ones.
          Alexei
        • Mary Kay Kare
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2000
            alexeik@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 9/19/0 1:56:10 AM, Margaret wrote:
            >
            > <<> <<hey, the Ossianic story has not been tackled by a fantasy writer
            > before!>>
            > >
            > > Actually it has -- by Diana Paxson and Adrienne Martine-Barnes.
            >
            > Title? Publisher?
            > >>

            > The third volume (which I have) is called _Sword of Fire and Shadow_
            > (AvoNova/Morrow). I don't recall the titles of the two earlier ones.
            > Alexei

            The earlier two are Master of Earth and Water, and The Shield Between
            the Worlds. The entire thing is called Chronicale of Fionn Mac
            Cumhal. It is, of course, out of print. Book you could try bookfinder.com.

            MKK
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2000
              I just want to remind everyone who has posted a list of their favorite books
              that while we appreciate reading the lists here, Ken Burtness doesn't
              subscribe to this group. To be counted in his vote, you need to send your
              list to him at this address: purplewolf@....

              Wendell Wagner
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2000
                On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 LSolarion@... wrote:

                > Aaaagh! How could I forget the Fionavar Tapestry! "If I forget thee, O
                > Fionavar..." Put that in as my # 10, and poor Rat and Mole will have to
                > languish in the second rank.

                The Fionavar Tapestry pushes out _The Wind in the Willows_.

                I guess it's true: there are indeed many different types of folks in the
                world.

                David Bratman
                - not responsible for the preceding book ranking -
              • LSolarion@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2000
                  In a message dated 09/17/2000 4:07:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  smasson@... writes:

                  << The Fionavar Tapestry, Guy Gavriel
                  Kay; >>