Top Ten Mythopoeic Books

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2000
      Here's my list:

      1. The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien
      2. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
      3. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
      4. Dark of the Moon by P. C. Hodgell
      5. The Earthsea Series by Ursula K. LeGuin
      6. The Narnia Series by C. S. Lewis
      7. That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis
      8. The Annubis Gates by Tim Powers
      9. The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe
      10. The Amber series by Roger Zelazny

      Joan Marie Verba

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists
    • LSolarion@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2000
        And here's my list:

        1) Lord of the Rings
        2)The Great Divorce
        3) Perelandra
        4) the Zimiamvia trilogy (E.R.Eddison)
        5) The Place of the Lion
        6) The Worm Ouroboros (also Eddison)
        7) Excalibur, by Sanders Anne Lowenthal
        8) Narnia (Voyage of the Dawn Treader in particular)
        9) The Dark is Rising
        10) The Wind in the Willows

        These aren't necessarily my favorite fantasies (though some would be
        included), for I don't include all fantasy in the "mythopoeic" category -- a
        category easy to distinguish but hard to define (for me at least). The best
        way to define it is to say "these have that quality" (e.g. Charles Williams'
        novels) but those, though equally fine, do not (e.g. George R. R. Martin's
        Ice, Wind and Fire books).

        Steve
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
          In a message dated 09/30/2000 4:28:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          LSolarion@... writes:

          << 7) Excalibur, by Sanders Anne Lowenthal >>

          I don't have my copy to hand, Steve, but are you sure you have her name spelt
          right? Is it Sanders or Saunders, and more importantly, Lowenthal or
          Laubenthal? Please feel free to ;-p~~~ me if you are 100% right. What a
          great book that is, too.

          Lizzie
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2000
            In a message dated 10/1/00 5:03:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ERATRIANO@... writes:

            > Daylight Time, LSolarion@... writes:
            >
            > > 7) Excalibur, by Sanders Anne Lowenthal
            >
            > I don't have my copy to hand, Steve, but are you sure
            > you have her name spelt right? Is it Sanders or
            > Saunders, and more importantly, Lowenthal or
            > Laubenthal?

            Since no one else has bothered to reply to this, I will. It's Sanders Anne
            Laubenthal.