Re: [mythsoc] a query for Orkists

  • Andrew Higgins
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2012
      John R

      I have been doing some work on the Orkish since I saw the movie and plan to see it again just to get the Orkish dialogue down on the Ipad.

      Regarding Azog I was actually just re-reading p.787 of your excellent History of the Hobbit vol 2 note 38 which suggests the name may be Mago/Magol in origin and also suggest that Azog may have same relation to Nazg (Ring).

       Also wonder if the AZ might be related to the AS in the Black Speech word GHASH 'fire.'

      I am now (before bed time) going to dig into the later language documents in the Parma Eldalamberon's and VT's and see if can extract any other possible Black Language roots for the name.

      Perhaps when we have the Magol language documents more will be revealed. More to come.....

      Thanks Andy

      Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins

      Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
      Glyndebourne (andrew.higgins@...)
      and now a word from our supporters......
      http://glyndebourne.com/supporting-glyndebourne

      asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Facebook/Twitter
      Mobile 07500 827793
      And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

      On 17 Dec 2012, at 22:29, John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      Have a quick question for the linguists among us: do we know what "Azog" means? The character is called "Azog the White" by the filmmakers, but I assume that "the White" 's just a descriptive term, not a translation of "Azog" itself.

      There's a fair amount of Orkish in the movie,* but I wasn't able to spot a cultural affinity with it (as there is between Sindarin and Welsh, for instance). Did any of the linguistically gifted among us have better luck? Did they draw on Black Speech for this, or is it quite unrelated?

      Also, for the non-linguists among us: Bolg was listed in the credits, but I don't remember seeing any character in the film who looked or acted like Azog's son or second in command. Am I missing something?

      Insights and information appreciated.

      --John R.

      *created by Salo, I assume, since he was listed in the credits re. Tolkienian languages