Your favorite mythopoeic books

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2000
      Ken Burtness asked me to pass the following on to members of this list:

      Ken is doing a survey to discover people's favorite "mythopoeic books". He
      would like you to send him (at purplewolf@...) a list of your ten
      favorite mythopoeic books. He did this survey at Mythcon and his results so
      far (from the people who voted at Mythcon and the votes he's received since
      then) are as follows:

      1) J. R. R. _The Lord of the Rings_: 19 votes
      2) Ursula K. LeGuin The Earthsea Books: 12 votes
      2) J. R. R. _The Hobbit_: 12 votes
      4) Peter Beagle _The Last Unicorn_: 9 votes
      4) C. S. Lewis _Till We Have Faces_: 9 votes
      6) Mervyn Peake The Gormenghast Books: 8 votes
      7) Madeleine L'Engle _A Wrinkle in Time_: 6 votes
      7) Patricia McKillip _The Riddle Master of Hed_: 6 votes
      9) J. R. R. Tolkien _The Silmarillion_: 5 votes
      9)Kenneth Grahame _The Wind in the Willows_: 5 votes
      9) Susan Cooper The Dark is Rising Series: 5 votes

      Ken doesn't want to get specific about what he means by a "mythopoeic book".
      I would have thought it means a fantasy novel, but he's taken votes for other
      things. Furthermore, apparently _The Lord of the Rings_ is one book, _The
      Hobbit_ and _The Silmarillion_ are separate books, but the LeGuin and Cooper
      series count as a single book.

      Wendell Wagner
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 2000
        On my "top ten" list of mythopoeic books, The Lord of the Rings and the
        Silmarillion are definitely 1&2. Otherwise, the following aren't in any
        particular order (except the order in which they came to mind, which maybe
        says something):

        1. The Lord of the Rings -- J.R.R. Tolkien
        2. The Silmarillion -- J.R.R. Tolkien
        3. All Hallows' Eve -- Charles Williams
        4. Till We Have Faces -- C.S. Lewis
        5. Utopia -- Thomas More
        6. The Divine Comedy -- Dante Alighieri
        7. The Little Prince -- Antoine de Saint Exupery*
        8. Winnie-the-Pooh/The House at Pooh Corner -- A.A. Milne
        9. The Wizard of Oz -- L. Frank Baum
        10. Animal Farm -- George Orwell

        *Someone in this group recently mentioned a new translation of The Little
        Prince. Is there any more info on it?

        -- Trudy Shaw