what about other adaptations of tolkien's lotr and hobbett not including the movies like the bbc radio play and drama of the hobbett and lotr?

  • Mich
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2012
      Hi all. through all this talk about adaptations of Tolkien's hobbit I wonder what people's thoughts were on the bbc radio play from 1981 of lotr and the drama from the bbc I am not sure of the year of the hobbit? I just wonder what people's thoughts were on those? for me those 2 plays were the first intro to Tolkien except for listening to the hobbit red by some one from the cnib library. my thoughts on the hobbit radio drama are that it was good but they managed to screw up some of the names like golem and thorin other then that all the elements of the story were there. as for the lotr bbc radio play dun in 1981 I thought it was good. I really found Ian Holmes's portrayail of Frodo to be very well dun. I admire him as a actor apart from his work on lotr I really liked him in the movie Joe Gould's Secret. I just was wondering what people's thoughts were on these 2 adaptations of Tolkien's hobbit and lotr. from Mich.
    • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2012
        I think my favorite presentation of THE HOBBIT (short of reading the book
        itself) is the abridged reading that Nicol Williamson did. I don't know if
        it is still available. But he does it wonderfully -- his reading of the
        Riddles in the Dark is WONDERFUL (especially when saying "scrumptiously
        crunchible"). I haven't played the recording in a long time (I have it on
        vinyl!), but maybe now is the season to get it out for a new listen.

        Sarah