Books and children

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 16, 2000
      This little saying came up in one of those inspirational posts that get
      passed along:

      >- No books will be as good as the ones you loved as a child.

      I started to retort that they're still just as good as they were then, so you
      should re-read them. Thinking of CS Lewis' words about books one loved as a
      child.

      But I don't suppose this is true of all of them, and is there, in addition,
      the element of fresh relish? Food often doesn't taste as good to us as it
      did when we were young and had better appetites.

      Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? Are
      there adult books that =are= "as good as the ones you loved as a child"? I
      would nominate Jane Austen, whom I couldn't stand as a child and now
      appreciate richly.

      On the other hand, I've just been reading HARRY POTTER and HEIDI and enjoying
      them both thoroughly, just as I loved HEIDI when I was young.

      Mary S
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 16, 2000
        Still on this topic, my mail order catalog from COMMON READER (see also
        http://commonreader.com) this time included along with a lot of other
        wonderful stuff, a long insert on children's books, most of them terrific (to
        my knowledge, or my guess from the descriptions).

        Where I learn to my pleasure that Edward Eager's 7 "Half-Magic" books are now
        out in paperback at $6 apiece.

        Mary S
      • LSolarion@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 30, 2000
          In a message dated 09/16/2000 9:23:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          <<
          Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<

          Doctor Doolittle.

          >> Are there adult books that =are= "as good as the ones you loved as a
          child"? I
          would nominate Jane Austen, whom I couldn't stand as a child and now
          appreciate richly. >>

          Same here. For the most part, the "children's" books I enjoy today (Alcott,
          the White Company, The Hobbit, Narnia) are books I first read as an adult.
          Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me unimpressed
          today. An exception is Howard Pyle's Robin Hood (with his illustrations, of
          course). I read that with the same unalloyed delight with which I read it as
          a schoolboy.
        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 30, 2000
            LSolarion@... wrote:

            > Same here. For the most part, the "children's" books I enjoy
            > today (Alcott, the White Company, The Hobbit, Narnia) are books
            > I first read as an adult. Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz
            > books for example, leave me unimpressed today. An exception is
            > Howard Pyle's Robin Hood (with his illustrations, of course). I
            > read that with the same unalloyed delight with which I read it
            > as a schoolboy.

            I first read it as an adult and enjoyed it a lot. So yes, it does
            hold up quite well.

            Interestingly, I wasn't crazy about the Wizard of Oz series as a
            kid, I only grew to understand that as a adult. I actually found
            most of the characterizations annoying as a kid. I've found I can
            better enjoy his world creation with adult mind. It also helps
            that I can better separate it from a certain movie. I actually
            liked Return to Oz better in some ways, because it had some of
            the darker feeling of the original books. It still isn't a
            favorite series of mine however, and I wouldn't force it on my
            kids.

            Little Harold, now 11, has just read L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time
            and enjoyed it. He has to do a book report on a Newbery
            Medal/Honor book and we had that one. He says he'll now be
            looking for the rest of her books. He'll also believe me when I
            tell him he'll like other Newbery mentions that we have around
            the house. Mostly SF&F of course. I've read Wrinkle in Time
            several times, first as a child and it too holds up well. Lots of
            stuff you understand better as an adult, but don't need to
            understand as a child to enjoy the story.

            Spring Valley High (?), something like that was all the rage when
            Jenevieve was 12. She's tossed them all. Somehow she still likes
            Sword of Shanana, but she read that before she read Lord of the
            Rings.

            I think that is the power of an outstanding children's
            book/movie/TV show is how many levels it works on. If there are
            some nice things/levels for the adults, the story will stay
            around a lot longer. If the levels are shallow forget about it.

            Lisa
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2000
              In a message dated 9/30/00 2:32:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
              LSolarion@... writes:

              > In a message dated 09/16/2000 9:23:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
              > Stolzi@... writes:
              >
              > <<
              > Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<
              >
              > Doctor Doolittle.

              Is that general, or just because of the politically incorrect parts about
              Prince Bumppo, or whatever his name was? I was rather pleased to see there
              is a modern edition which has changed that, so modern children can still read
              them.

              I suspect I'd still like Lofting's curiously dry style and even more dry
              illustrations. I know as a child I loved them, read them over and over.

              The Pushmi-Pullyu was great!

              Mary S
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
                << I suspect I'd still like Lofting's curiously dry style and even more dry
                illustrations. I know as a child I loved them, read them over and over. >>

                I've read them again, now and then. Love the Cat's-Meat-Man, too. They are
                dated, but so is Kipling, and many of the others that we still love. Didn't
                I get chewed out a while ago right here on this list for saying something was
                dated? LOL

                Lizzie
              • Christine Howlett
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
                  Honey, so many of US are dated, we tend to be a little sensitive! Not but
                  what I believe (from my datedness?) that many of these older stories still
                  have a lot of magic and wisdome left in them. Now if I can just convince my
                  nieces that I do, too...
                  Christine

                • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
                    In a message dated 10/01/2000 10:16:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    chowlett@... writes:

                    << Now if I can just convince my nieces that I do, too... >>

                    Give them the books. After a few times they might start associating you with
                    the magic.

                    Lizzie
                  • Paul F. Labaki
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
                      > <<
                      > Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<
                      >
                      > Doctor Doolittle.

                      Many many, but most significantly _Indian Paint_ by Glenn Balch (copyright
                      1942, but still holding up very nicely in 1969 when I read it as a second
                      grader) and the various beast fables of Thornton W. Burgess which I found
                      enchanting as a child. I now find them tedious, unlike AEsop's fables which
                      I still enjoy, but in relatively small doses.

                      >>> Are there adult books that =are= "as good as the ones you loved as a

                      > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me unimpressed
                      > today. An exception is Howard Pyle's Robin Hood (with his illustrations, of
                      > course). I read that with the same unalloyed delight with which I read it as
                      > a schoolboy.

                      This remains one of my most loved stories. I read it every 2 years. Pyle
                      brings to life a fairy tale England, but one we can recognize and accept as
                      our own because it is populated by men and women who revel in lives raw with
                      emotion; they revel and sorrow just like us and a little more extreme. The
                      lack of the supernatural, magic and the existence of fairies keeps it
                      plausible. the joy of life Pyle depicts is contagious and the reader sets
                      the book down in better humor than when he began to read (at least I
                      invariably do).

                      Peace,
                      Paul>

                    • vaar aragon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
                        > > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me
                        unimpressed
                        > > today.

                        THe OZ books to me are good entertainment but poor literature...I
                        think some of the darker ones-Ozma of Oz, Glinda of Oz, maybe Land of
                        Oz (which isn't esp. dark) have enough imagination to overcome the
                        limited writing. The first book, mmm, let's just say that the
                        movie's better than the book deserves ;)