Hobbit Movie

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2012
      Cat & I went to the midnight premiere.  I'm really torn in my reaction.  Is this better than the Rankin-Bass animated Hobbit?  I never liked that.  But at least that was for children.  I think Peter Jackson should have explained that he was actually making The Quest for Erebor, not The Hobbit.   I did like some things quite well.  But are all movies these days so noisy?  We sat through a number (6? 8?) of "coming attractions," mostly SF & F or horror and all of these trailers were disturbingly loud.  And the action scenes from them were a lot like the Hobbit sequences in and on the Misty Mountains, lots of yawning chasms with people nearly or actually falling.  I don't want to see any of them, though there were several intriguing things, even in a ??!!Zombie!! movie (I hate stupid zombie movies) this was intriguing, I guess, because it looked to be a not-so-stupid, maybe even smart zombie movie.  Also an animated film, ?Epic? that looked like Up meets Ferngully.  But still too noisy.  Some big name actors.  I was hooked on a father-son dynamic with actor Will what's his name the sometime rapper (I think), until we went off the cliff into Misty Mountain gorges.  Also an extremely stupid assertion that was surprisingly redeemed by a revelation at the end--which wouldn't have been a revelation to me if I hadn't been underestimating the film-makers, as the stupid assertion wasn't stupid in the right context.  Back to the Hobbit, even the quiet moments (there were some) are underscored by an insistent score that I found annoying.  Maybe I'm grumpy because I have a bad cold.  I think I'll go home and watch _My Neighbor, Totoro_.  I only wish that Peter Jackson would.

      David Lenander
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113

      651-292-8887

      Gwnewch y pethau bychain mewn bywyd

    • Jo Foster
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2012
        Mike and I aren’t seeing the movie until Tuesday.  We have found that we enjoy having the theater mostly to ourselves.  I’ve been bookmarking many of these comments along with the NY Times review and others to read after we see it.  I also didn’t watch any of the often available preview footage from the film.

        For me it is what it is.  Not a true representation but a film roughly based on the book.  The Far Westfarthing Smial will meet on Friday and discuss the differences.  We read and talked about the Hobbit in November.

        Jo

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2012

          Hi I agree with you David in your thoughts regarding the Hobbit movie. I think it could have been subtitled the road that go's on and on and on and on again or there but not quite back again. I think my thoughts best would be somed up by Bilbo near the end of the movie "I think the werst is over" well here's hoping so. it was no lotr that's for sure. I left thinking that the movie dragged to long and also I found that some seens could have been left out and made me long for the DVD so that I could just skip them all together. I am thinking of the ratagast seen. I also found my self going through a mental checklist in my mind of the different adventures that Bilbo and co go through and felt like saying at one point ok come on get on with it! I also found the pronunciations or miss pronunciations of some of the names mainly keeley and feely to killy and filly to be most annoying! and made me want to jump up and shout it is keeley and feely you fool! I also found that there was not that much of character development and the sets were cheesy and not as nice as in say lotr. all in all out of a 5 I give the film 2 and again hope that the next 2 installments will be better. O yes and one more thing after 169 min we only reach the end of chapter 6 and so there is still a long way to go. from Mich.