Re: [mythsoc] Beyond Tolkein?

  • James Curcio
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2012
      As am I -- please see the email that I just sent to the list under a new subject (Mythos Media)

      Modern Myths, Independantly Produced: http://www.mythosmedia.net
      The Modern Mythology blog: http://www.modernmythology.net

      On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM, OLUWATOYIN ADEPOJU <tvade3@...> wrote:

      I am interested in developing cosmologies- not necessarily mythological- and expanding existing cosmologies and mythologies.

      toyin

      On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Alana Joli Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

      I'm interested in this topic, too -- I do writing for games as well as fiction writing, and I'm always eager to hear about people's own world-building experiences. :)

      -Alana

      On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 5:08 AM, John Davis <john@...> wrote:

      As t'other John said, this list has many writers on it. But I wonder if for most, as I believe it was for Tolkien, world-building and mythology creation is a very personal thing. It is, in a sense, a way of exploring one's own self. So it is probably, on the whole, far easier to talk and argue about Tolkien's own creation. Besides which, compared to his, most of ours are no doubt pale somewhat.

      For myself, though, to answer your question, I work as a content developer in the rpg and computer gaming industries, essentially building and then fleshing out the worlds in which the games are set. So whilst I come at the task from a rather different direction, perhaps, always with a practical goal in mind, some worlds do require the creation of mythologies (others, such as our games set in Middle-earth or periods of our own history, borrowing existing ones). And so to answer your other question, yes, I would be very interested in discussion on any aspect of this you wish, assuming the moderators do not consider it too 'off topic'.

      John