The New Yorker on The Hobbit

  • davise@cs.nyu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2012
      Two hobbit articles in this week's New Yorker:

      Anthony Lane reviews the movie.
      http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2012/12/17/121217crci_cinema_lane

      Some complaints but overall positive: "on balance, honor has been done to Tolkien". Worth reading. Since I haven't seen the movie, I fortunately can't express an opinion on whether I agree with the review.

      In the online version: Jon Michaud writes "One book to rule them all" a unserious (pretty feeble) article that The Hobbit is a better book than LOTR.

      http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/12/why-the-hobbit-is-a-better-book-than-the-lord-of-the-rings.html

      One can actually make a case for this point of view, but Michaud doesn't make it. Not worth reading.

      -- Ernie

      -- Ernie