Odyssey Writing Workshop

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2012
      Publicity Release
      November 2012

      **ODYSSEY WRITING WORKSHOP
      ANNOUNCES ITS 18th SUMMER SESSION**

      About Odyssey
      Since its founding in 1996, Odyssey has become
      one of the most respected workshops in the fantasy, science fiction, and
      horror writing community. Odyssey is for developing writers whose work is
      approaching publication quality and for published writers who want to
      improve their work. The six-week workshop combines advanced lectures,
      exercises, extensive writing, and in-depth feedback on student
      manuscripts. Top authors, editors, and agents have served as guest
      lecturers, including George R. R. Martin, Harlan Ellison, Jane Yolen, Terry
      Brooks, Robert J. Sawyer, Ben Bova, Nancy Kress, Elizabeth Hand, Jeff
      VanderMeer, Donald Maass, Sheila Williams, Shawna McCarthy, Carrie Vaughn,
      and Dan Simmons. Fifty-eight percent of Odyssey graduates go on to
      professional publication.

      The program is held every summer on Saint Anselm College's
      beautiful campus in Manchester, NH. Saint Anselm is one of the finest
      liberal arts colleges in the country, dedicated to excellence in education,
      and its campus provides a peaceful setting and state-of-the-art facilities
      for Odyssey students. College credit is available upon request.

      Jeanne Cavelos, Odyssey's director and primary instructor, is a
      best-selling author and a former senior editor at Bantam Doubleday Dell
      Publishing, where she won the World Fantasy Award for her work. As an
      editor, Cavelos gained a reputation for discovering and nurturing new
      writers. She provides students with detailed, concrete, constructive
      critiques of their work. Cavelos said, "I've worked with many
      different writers, and I know that each writer thinks and works
      differently. We limit attendance at Odyssey to sixteen, so I can become
      deeply familiar with the work of each student and provide assessments of
      strengths and weaknesses. I work individually with each student, helping
      each to find the best writing process for him, suggesting specific tools to
      target weaknesses, and charting progress over the six weeks." Her
      critiques average over 1,200 words, and her handwritten line edits on
      manuscripts are extensive.

      Odyssey class time is split between workshopping sessions and
      lectures. An advanced, comprehensive curriculum covers the elements of
      fiction writing in depth. While feedback reveals the weaknesses in
      students' manuscripts, lectures teach the tools and techniques
      necessary to strengthen them.

      The workshop runs from June 10 to July 19, 2013. Class meets for four
      hours in the morning, five days a week. Students spend about eight hours
      more per day writing and critiquing each other's work. Prospective
      students, aged eighteen and up, apply from all over the world. The early
      action application deadline is JANUARY 31, and the regular admission
      deadline is APRIL 8. Tuition is $1,920, and housing is $790 for a double
      room in a campus apartment and $1,580 for a single room.

      This year, Odyssey graduate Sara King is sponsoring the Parasite
      Publications Character Awards to provide financial assistance to three
      character-based writers wishing to attend. The Parasite Publications
      Character Awards, three scholarships in the amounts of $1,920 (full
      tuition), $500, and $300, will be awarded to the three members of the
      incoming class who are deemed extraordinarily strong character writers,
      creating powerful, emotional characters that grab the reader and don't
      let go.

      Meet Our 2013 Writer-in-Residence
      Odyssey's 2013
      writer-in-residence, Nancy Holder, is an award-winning, New York
      Times bestselling author of adult, young adult, middle grade, and early
      reader work, both fiction and nonfiction. She has sold approximately 80
      novels and 200 short stories, comic books, and essays in various
      genres. She has taught creative writing classes at the University of
      California at San Diego, the Maui Writers Retreat and Conference, and other
      conferences and colleges, and has been on the faculty of the Stonecoast MFA
      in Creative Writing for seven years.

      Other Guest Lecturers
      Lecturers for the 2013 workshop include
      some of the best teachers in the field: award-winning authors Holly Black,
      Patricia Bray, Adam-Troy Castro, and Jack Ketchum; and the two-time Hugo
      Award-winning editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine,
      Sheila Williams.

      Odyssey Graduates
      Graduates of the Odyssey Writing Workshop
      have been published in the top fiction magazines and by the top book
      publishers in the field. Their stories have appeared in The Magazine of
      Fantasy & Science Fiction, Analog, Asimov's, Realms of Fantasy,
      Weird Tales, Lightspeed, Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine
      Show, and Clarkesworld. Some of the recent novels published by
      Odyssey graduates are Kitty Steals the Show by Carrie Vaughn,
      published by Tor Books; Lies & Omens: A Shadows Inquiries
      Novel by Lyn Benedict, published by Ace Books; Spellcrossed by
      Barbara Ashford, published by DAW; Silver by Rhiannon Held,
      published by Tor Books; and Clean: A Mindspace Investigations
      Novel by Alex Hughes, published by Roc Books.

      Comments from the Class of 2012
      "I learned more in six
      weeks at Odyssey than I did in three years in an MFA program." �
      Jessie Robie

      "Jeanne is the most thorough and hard-working
      instructor I've ever met. Odyssey has changed me as a writer. I
      can't imagine a finer education or experience." � James Khan

      "I was afraid Odyssey would change my writing and take away what
      made it mine and unique, but I was so wrong. At Odyssey, I developed a
      sense of control over those gut feelings I used to have�when I sensed
      something was off but just could not figure out what it was. . . . Odyssey
      is like a writer paradise. You might not want to change when you get here,
      but you will. Later, you won't want to leave, but when you do, you
      leave with a purpose." � Jessica May Lin

      Other Odyssey Resources and Services
      The Odyssey Web
      site, www.odysseyworkshop.org, offers many resources for
      writers, including online classes, a critique service, free podcasts,
      writing and publishing tips, and a monthly blog. Those interested in
      applying to the workshop should visit the Web site, phone (603) 673-6234,
      or e-mail jcavelos@....