6 clips of the Hobbett and my thoughts.

  • Mich
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
      Hi all. here's 6 clips of The Hobbit since I follow them on twitter I thought I would post this link.

      now my thoughts on the clips. they were good but I can't get my mind around some of the dwarves being Scottish. at least speaking with a Scottish accent. also the person who plays bollen in the book he is described as a very old dwarf and in the movie I think he is described as a tuff dwarf more  then in the book. plus in the book and all the audio versions I have listened to he sounds very old even in the bbc dramatization so I can't really get my mind around that in the movie he might be skottish. and not sound that old.  but those are my thoughts and I look forward to hearing what others thoughts are on the clips. from Mich.

    • John Rateliff
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
        On Dec 5, 2012, at 4:28 AM, Mich wrote:
        now my thoughts on the clips. they were good but I can't get my mind around some of the dwarves being Scottish. at least speaking with a Scottish accent. also the person who plays bollen in the book he is described as a very old dwarf and in the movie I think he is described as a tuff dwarf more  then in the book. plus in the book and all the audio versions I have listened to he sounds very old even in the bbc dramatization so I can't really get my mind around that in the movie he might be skottish. and not sound that old.  but those are my thoughts and I look forward to hearing what others thoughts are on the clips. from Mich.

        hi Mich.
           From what I've read, it's quite true that the dwarves in Thorin & Company have apparently been given a range of accents to help differentiate them. Two have Scottish accents (Balin and Dwalin), and another dwarf-family supposedly have Irish/Ulster accents (Bifur-Bofur-Bombur, I think).
           Similarly, Balin is old, as he should be, but movie-Dwalin is not. Movie-Thorin also isn't old, but closer in age to movie-Dwalin than movie-Balin, while movie-Ori is even younger than Fili and Kili. It's movie-Dwalin who's the tough dwarf you mention, not movie-Balin.
           All these changes, and more, are designed to make the thirteen dwarves individual and distinct -- a worthy goal, though some of the execution may turn out to be regrettable from a purist point of view.

        --John R.

      • Mich