Re: [mythsoc] PS on Hammond/Scull Artist and Illustrator book

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
      Leslie,

      First, my apologies to all for not taking this discussion off-list, but I can't for the life of my find Wayne's email address anywhere on his website or on the mythsoc list. So, Wayne, if you'd like to take this offlist, that's fine. My email address is ldonovan AT unm DOTedu.

      Isn't my (and Christina's, shared) e-address in the headers of our message to the list (and at the top of this one)? Otherwise, one can always look me up in the Williams College directory.

      Wayne, I started poking around again and remembered more about why I thought J.R.R. Tolkien was out of print. On Amazon UK, the only one available as a new book in a somewhat affordable edition is a hardcover printing for £33.75, which is pretty costly but not as costly as the other editions there and at Amazon US that are close to $200. I also checked the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt website and the link for Artist and Illustrator goes directly to Aristophanes, not to the correct volume. So, if you or any other Mythies can put me in touch with someone who can get new copies for my bookstore or students to order, I would be SO grateful!

      I found that Aristophanes link too -- go figure. Yes, Artist and Illustrator seems to be unavailable from the U.K. as well, though Amazon UK's listings are by no means always correct. Christina and I wrote to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt about this last night, and were told today that our book isn't out of print, but it is currently out of stock. We're expecting more news, maybe by tomorrow, about reprinting, and whether there's any stock available for your purposes. If this fails, we hope that The Art of The Hobbit will be a workable substitute.

      Wayne