Re: [mythsoc] Hammond/Scull book gets mentioned in Entertainment Weekly

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
      I received it recently as a gift from Jo.  I’ll add our endorsement of that of EW.

      Mike

      Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:08 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Hammond/Scull book gets mentioned in Entertainment Weekly

      In an article in Entertainment Weekly for December 7, 2012 titled "Gift Books: Eat, Think, and Be Merry," in a subsection called "Favorite Classics," a book edited by Wayne and Christina was listed as one of the recommended books for Christmas giving.  The book is The Art of the Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.  The article made no mention of Wayne or Christina.

      Thanks for pointing this out, Wendell. For a book whose full title is The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, Tolkien is naturally going to get more attention than the author-editors. We're happy that the book is getting such wide notice.

      Wayne & Christina

    • not_thou
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
        However, accompanying that article, on p. 79, there is a picture of THE ART OF THE HOBBIT BY J.R.R. TOLKIEN, sitting amid the other "Favorite Classics" (including Neil Gaiman's STARDUST, by the way), and if you look closely at the image, you can see the words "E HAMMOND & CHRISTINA SCUL" on the cover. (Wayne is cut off by A FAREWELL TO ARMS; Christina by A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.)

        ---WendellWag@... wrote:
        > In an article in Entertainment Weekly for December 7,
        > 2012 titled "Gift Books: Eat, Think, and Be Merry," in
        > a subsection called "Favorite Classics," a book edited
        > by Wayne and Christina was listed as one of the recommended
        > books for Christmas giving. The book is The Art of the
        > Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. The article made no mention
        > of Wayne or Christina.
        >
        > Wendell Wagner
      • Leslie A. Donovan
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
          I was very glad to be reminded of The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, as I only recently realized J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator is no longer in print. I was planning to use the latter for my Advanced Tolkien course in the Honors program where I teach (I used it for the same class a few years ago with great success. But, perhaps, I can use The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien instead. I don't suppose there are plans for Artist and Illustrator to reappear in print or ebook version in the next couple of months or if someone knows where I might have my 12-17 students get copies? Any help would be most appreciated!

          Leslie

          Leslie A. Donovan
          Associate Professor, Honors College
          UNM Presidential Teaching Fellow

          Honors College
          MSC06 3890
          1 University of New Mexico
          Albuquerque, NM 87131
          (505) 277-4313

        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
            Leslie,

            I was very glad to be reminded of The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, as I only recently realized J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator is no longer in print. I was planning to use the latter for my Advanced Tolkien course in the Honors program where I teach (I used it for the same class a few years ago with great success. But, perhaps, I can use The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien instead. I don't suppose there are plans for Artist and Illustrator to reappear in print or ebook version in the next couple of months or if someone knows where I might have my 12-17 students get copies? Any help would be most appreciated!

            This is news to us. Artist and Illustrator has continued to sell all right in both the U.K. and U.S., and is listed in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's latest 2012 printed catalogue as part of their entire Tolkien line to tie in with The Hobbit. We'll send a note to our contact at the publisher and ask if they can still supply copies to you.

            Wayne & Christina

          • Leslie A. Donovan