Re: [mythsoc] Hammond/Scull book gets mentioned in Entertainment Weekly

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
      Congr. to Wayne & Christina!  Hope that little sidebar sells a lot of copies of a v. gd book.
         --JDR

      On Nov 29, 2012, at 8:54 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:
      In an article in Entertainment Weekly for December 7, 2012 titled "Gift Books: Eat, Think, and Be Merry," in a subsection called "Favorite Classics," a book edited by Wayne and Christina was listed as one of the recommended books for Christmas giving.  The book is The Art of the Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.  The article made no mention of Wayne or Christina.

      Wendell Wagner

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
        In an article in Entertainment Weekly for December 7, 2012 titled "Gift Books: Eat, Think, and Be Merry," in a subsection called "Favorite Classics," a book edited by Wayne and Christina was listed as one of the recommended books for Christmas giving.  The book is The Art of the Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.  The article made no mention of Wayne or Christina.

        Thanks for pointing this out, Wendell. For a book whose full title is The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, Tolkien is naturally going to get more attention than the author-editors. We're happy that the book is getting such wide notice.

        Wayne & Christina

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
          I received it recently as a gift from Jo.  I’ll add our endorsement of that of EW.

          Mike

          Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:08 AM
          Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Hammond/Scull book gets mentioned in Entertainment Weekly

          In an article in Entertainment Weekly for December 7, 2012 titled "Gift Books: Eat, Think, and Be Merry," in a subsection called "Favorite Classics," a book edited by Wayne and Christina was listed as one of the recommended books for Christmas giving.  The book is The Art of the Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.  The article made no mention of Wayne or Christina.

          Thanks for pointing this out, Wendell. For a book whose full title is The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, Tolkien is naturally going to get more attention than the author-editors. We're happy that the book is getting such wide notice.

          Wayne & Christina

        • not_thou
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
            However, accompanying that article, on p. 79, there is a picture of THE ART OF THE HOBBIT BY J.R.R. TOLKIEN, sitting amid the other "Favorite Classics" (including Neil Gaiman's STARDUST, by the way), and if you look closely at the image, you can see the words "E HAMMOND & CHRISTINA SCUL" on the cover. (Wayne is cut off by A FAREWELL TO ARMS; Christina by A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.)

            ---WendellWag@... wrote:
            > In an article in Entertainment Weekly for December 7,
            > 2012 titled "Gift Books: Eat, Think, and Be Merry," in
            > a subsection called "Favorite Classics," a book edited
            > by Wayne and Christina was listed as one of the recommended
            > books for Christmas giving. The book is The Art of the
            > Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. The article made no mention
            > of Wayne or Christina.
            >
            > Wendell Wagner
          • Leslie A. Donovan
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
              I was very glad to be reminded of The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, as I only recently realized J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator is no longer in print. I was planning to use the latter for my Advanced Tolkien course in the Honors program where I teach (I used it for the same class a few years ago with great success. But, perhaps, I can use The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien instead. I don't suppose there are plans for Artist and Illustrator to reappear in print or ebook version in the next couple of months or if someone knows where I might have my 12-17 students get copies? Any help would be most appreciated!

              Leslie

              Leslie A. Donovan
              Associate Professor, Honors College
              UNM Presidential Teaching Fellow

              Honors College
              MSC06 3890
              1 University of New Mexico
              Albuquerque, NM 87131
              (505) 277-4313

            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
                Leslie,

                I was very glad to be reminded of The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, as I only recently realized J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator is no longer in print. I was planning to use the latter for my Advanced Tolkien course in the Honors program where I teach (I used it for the same class a few years ago with great success. But, perhaps, I can use The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien instead. I don't suppose there are plans for Artist and Illustrator to reappear in print or ebook version in the next couple of months or if someone knows where I might have my 12-17 students get copies? Any help would be most appreciated!

                This is news to us. Artist and Illustrator has continued to sell all right in both the U.K. and U.S., and is listed in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's latest 2012 printed catalogue as part of their entire Tolkien line to tie in with The Hobbit. We'll send a note to our contact at the publisher and ask if they can still supply copies to you.

                Wayne & Christina

              • Leslie A. Donovan