Tolkien Estate News

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2012
    • GH Chinoy
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2012
        Sounds like they're concerned over LOTRO and other games.  And I do so want to play the LEGO Lord of the Rings game! (even if one does have to toss a dwarf!)
      • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2012
          I think they are actually less concerned about LOTRO and the LEGO game
          than they are with the licenses of "Lord of the Rings" SLOT MACHINE (ie,
          gambling) games that Warners/New Line has "allowed". The Estate is
          specificly suing over the gambling games as detrimental to the quality of
          the Estate's trademarks and as being outside any rights granted with the
          film deal contracts.

          From what I have read of the filing, I think it sounds like they have a
          good case, and I hope they win. Warners is WAY out of line in going to
          slot machines with the material, and happily, the Tolkien Estate has
          enough clout to take them on.

          Sarah Beach

          > Sounds like they're concerned over LOTRO and other games. And I do so
          > want
          > to play the LEGO Lord of the Rings game! (even if one does have to toss a
          > dwarf!)
          >

          > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM, <WendellWag@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> **
          >>
          >> http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=9bdb7a52-839a-4d3a-9e6c-5e3867477757

        • Doug Kane
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2012
            Actually, it is both the slot machine, and online and downloadable games (but not the Lego games).  The basis of the Complaint (which I have read in full) is that the merchandising rights granted in the 1969 agreements (as amended/clarified in a further 1975 document) are limited to personal property items that can be sold.  There are specific claims for relief that address both the slot machines (and other similar gambling devises) as well as games that can be played online or downloaded. Neither of those things are personal property that can be purchased (whereas the Lego games are). And while it was the slot machines that initially set them off (apparently one of the Estate's attorneys received a spam email advertising them!), it appears that it is Saul Zaentz's stated intention to ramp of online game licensing that is the biggest sticking point (this is really more about the Estate verses Zaentz than it is the Estate verses Warners, even though the latter gets the more publicity; the dispute between them as been brewing for a long time).  My sympathies are definitely with the Estate, although it is not clear to me at this point whether the legal basis of their claims will stand up.  And for the record, Christopher is NOT a named plaintiff in this case, although Priscilla Tolkien is, as a trustee of the Tolkien Trust

            Doug

            Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:26 PM
            Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien Estate News

            I think they are actually less concerned about LOTRO and the LEGO game
            than they are with the licenses of "Lord of the Rings" SLOT MACHINE (ie,
            gambling) games that Warners/New Line has "allowed". The Estate is
            specificly suing over the gambling games as detrimental to the quality of
            the Estate's trademarks and as being outside any rights granted with the
            film deal contracts.

            >From what I have read of the filing, I
            think it sounds like they have a
            good case, and I hope they win. Warners is WAY out of line in going to
            slot machines with the material, and happily, the Tolkien Estate has
            enough clout to take them on.

            Sarah Beach

            > Sounds like they're concerned over LOTRO and other games. And
            I do so
            > want
            > to play the LEGO Lord of the Rings game! (even if
            one does have to toss a
            > dwarf!)
            >

            > On Tue, Nov 20,
            2012 at 8:23 PM, <WendellWag@...> wrote:

            >> **

            **

            title="http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=9bdb7a52-839a-4d3a-9e6c-5e3867477757 CTRL + Click to follow link" href="http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=9bdb7a52-839a-4d3a-9e6c-5e3867477757">http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=9bdb7a52-839a-4d3a-9e6c-5e3867477757

            No virus found in this message.