Call for Nominations: 2013 Mythopoeic Awards

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 16, 2012

      Individual members of the Mythopoeic Society are invited to nominate books for the 2013 Mythopoeic Awards, and/or to volunteer to serve on any of the committees. (You need not join the committee to make nominations.)  The deadline for committee volunteers and for nominations (limit of five per person per category, please!) is February 1, 2013; please send nominations to the awards administrator (see contact info below) via e-mail (preferred) or U.S. mail.  Authors or publishers may not nominate their own books for any of the awards.  Books published by the Mythopoeic Press are not eligible for the awards.  The Mythopoeic Society does not accept or review unsolicited manuscripts.

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature is given to the fantasy novel, multi-volume novel, or single-author story collection for adults published during the previous year that best exemplifies “the spirit of the Inklings”.  Books not selected as finalists in the year after publication are eligible for a second year.  Books from a series are eligible if they stand on their own; otherwise, the series becomes eligible the year its final volume appears.

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children’s Literature honors books for younger readers (from “Young Adults” to picture books for beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles of Narnia.  Rules for eligibility are otherwise the same as for the Adult literature award.  The question of which award a borderline book is best suited for will be decided by consensus of the committees.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies is given to books on J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and/or Charles Williams that make significant contributions to Inklings scholarship.  For this award, books first published during the previous three years are eligible, including finalists for previous years.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies is given to scholarly books on other specific authors in the Inklings tradition, or to more general works on the genres of myth and fantasy.  The period of eligibility is three years, as for the Inklings Studies award.

      Winners of the 2013 Mythopoeic Awards will be announced at the 44th Annual Mythopoeic Conference (Mythcon XLIV), to be held July 12-15, 2013 at the Kellogg Conference Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan.

      Please contact David Oberhelman, the Awards Administrator, to nominate books, volunteer for committees, or ask questions about the Mythopoeic Awards process.

      David Oberhelman

      306 Edmon Low Library

      Oklahoma State University

      Stillwater, OK 74078

      Email: awards@...

    • Lisa Padol
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2012
        Josh and I ready to serve as usual (me on adult list, him on adult and children lists). Nominations to follow when we've a better handle on things.

        -Lisa
      • Joshua Kronengold
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2012
          On 11/18/2012 11:45 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
          > Josh and I ready to serve as usual (me on adult list, him on adult and
          > children lists). Nominations to follow when we've a better handle on things.

          This.
        • Oberhelman, D
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012

            Thanks, I’ll put you  both down.

            David

            On 11/18/2012 11:45 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
            > Josh and I ready to serve as usual (me on adult list, him on adult and
            > children lists). Nominations to follow when we've a better handle on things.

            This.

          • Paul Labaki
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
              David,

              I apologize that circumstances caused me to get way behind in my email reviews.  Though past the Feb. 1 deadline, I would again like to volunteer to be on the committees for both the Fantasy Award for Adult Literature and the Fantasy Award for Children's Literature.

              Paul Labaki