Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien's 1960 Hobbit (Quest of Erebor)

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2012
      Hi again.
         Others have partly answered this already, but just to confirm: the Rob Inglis recordings (which I've always found too monotone for my taste) are of the third (or possibly fourth) edition text of THE HOBBIT and the second edition of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. Both texts have since been changed in relatively minor ways that don't much affect just reading or listening to the story.  THE QUEST OF EREBOR has never appeared in any edition of THE LORD OF THE RINGS, having been cut by Tolkien himself before publication.* Instead, it was first published in UNFINISHED TALES. Another version (i.e., a different draft) appears as an appendix in the second edition of THE ANNOTATED HOBBIT. In addition, Christopher Tolkien gives a detailed account with some excerpts of how it was first drafted, and how it would have fit into LotR, in the twelfth and final volume of THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH: THE PEOPLES OF MIDDLE-EARTH (HME.XII.282). I don't think any of these have audio versions, unfortunately.
         Mind you, as I understand it the movie people don't have permissions to use any material from UNFINISHED TALES, and they certainly don't for HME, so their borrowings will have to be limited to what's in LotR and its Appendices.

      --John R.

      *rather like he cut the Epilogue of LotR, which you shd definitely track down if you haven't read it yet; it appears (in two different versions) in HME.IX.114ff

      Hi yes it does help for sure. it does make me wonder though. having the unab books of the hobbit and lotr dun by recorded books and red by Rob inglis I wonder witch version of the books were used in the recording of these books. I also have the appendices of lotr on cd 16 of rotk. I don't remember though reading anything about  "THE QUEST OF EREBOR in any of those books. and the only timeI have first herd of this was in the trailers for the upcoming hobbit films dun by pj. I wonder do you know if any of these books you reference like the history of the hobbit are out in audio format? or any accessible format? from Mich.