Re: [mythsoc] it's coming

  • James Curcio
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012

      Can we rename this list "the curmudgeons of fantasy"? ;P

      On Nov 9, 2012 11:50 PM, "Mike Foster" <mafoster@...> wrote:

      You know you already hate it.

      But now you will have reasons.

      Far Westfarthing smial is re-reading The Hobbit for Nov. 30.  If we don’t get past the chapters with Radagast (how the Fudd did we miss those on our 40 years of previous readings?), there’s always next year.

      Mike

      Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:17 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] it's coming

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012
        Fair enough, David.  I think I have read most of what you have written about the films, including your essay in Tolkien on Film, your brief comments about Howard Shore's score in Middle-earth Minstrel that got blown out of proportion in a review of that book, and the entertaining though sometimes acrimonious discussions on this list, much of which predate my time on it.  I actually agree with much of what I have seen that you have said, though my overall opinion of the films are undoubtedly higher than yours (which actually supports your main point that it isn't a two-state process).  I will say that I am confident that it is highly likely that I have followed the details about the new films more closely than you have, and that I am equally confident that it is quite likely that your reaction overall will be even more negative than it was to the LotR films (though I won't give details; what would be the fun of that?).  The one thing that I can say with complete confidence, however, is that I will find what you have say about the films interesting and worthwhile.

        Doug

        Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

        "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

        >Even if you have a ticket, you are still going to have to wait
        on a long
        >line to get
        >in.

        You had said "fight crowds." I won't have to fight crowds. I'll just wait
        in line and read a book, which is what I'd be doing at home if I weren't
        there anyway. It would be a strange way to save time by waiting weeks,
        maybe, to get around to seeing the movie just to avoid having to stand in
        line for maybe an hour. Weeks are longer than an hour.

        >As for your having your first reaction influenced by
        others, I don't think
        >there is
        >much chance of that. You're a
        pretty strong-willed person by all accounts.

        What, you think I'm afraid that a favorable review would turn my head?
        There's a lot more to reactions and their influence on people than a simple
        yea-or-nay.

        >Besides,
        I'm pretty sure that you already know what your first reaction
        >will
        be:
        >horror, mixed with a fair amount of disgust, tinged by anger, and
        sadness
        >about
        >what could have been.

        And reactions to a movie are more than simply ranking it on a 1-to-10 scale.
        Even leaving aside Jackson's ability to do some things well and enjoyably,
        even from the point of view of complete prior antipathy there is always the
        question of exactly _how_ he will screw it up, and how badly.

        On both accounts, this isn't just a two-state process, on or off, up or
        down, yea or nay. I'm surprised at the attempt not to see that.

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012

          Hi all. as a new member to this list and as others have said I to wasn't on this list when the lotr films came out I would like to know where I would be able to read David's Rightings on the lotr films and on the scor and all the stuff that he wrote about the lotr films and also on his thoughts on the upcoming Hobbett films? from Mich.

          Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012

            David’s essay “Summa Jacksonica: A Reply to Defenses of Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings films, after St. Thomas Aquinas” and a number of other articles are available in the Mythopoeic Press’s book Tolkien on Film:

            http://www.mythsoc.org/press/tolkien-on-film/

            Janet Brennan Croft

            Associate Professor
            Head of Access Services
            University of Oklahoma Libraries
            Bizzell 106NW
            Norman OK 73019
            405-325-1918
            Fax 405-325-7618
            jbcroft@...
            http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

            http://libraries.ou.edu/
            Editor of Mythlore
            http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

            “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

            Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012
              Which (as Janet is no doubt too modest to point out), is edited by her, and contains her own fine essay "Mithril Coats and Tin Ears: ‘Anticipation’ and ‘Flattening’ in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Trilogy."

              The other essay that I referred to is "Liquid Tolkien: Music, Tolkien, Middle-earth, and More Music" in Middle-earth Minstrel: Essays on Music in Tolkien. Edited by Bradford Lee Eden. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 2010. 140-170.  Although the comments about the score are a very brief portion in an essay about Tolkien-inspired music.

              As for comments made here on this list, there is a searchable archive if someone is intrepid enough to search through it for old discussions about the films.

              Doug

              Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012

                  Why thank you!

                  I was just talking to my daughter about how Jackson is likely to “anticipate” things in The Hobbit movies, based on the trailers, ratcheting up the violence/horror factors early on and leaving nothing to build up to. If Bilbo is involved in a sword fight with a goblin under the Misty Mountains, as he appears to be, it makes the bravery of drawing a sword on the spiders later a bit anticlimactic.

                  Janet

                  Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012
                    "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

                    >Fair enough, David. I think I have read most of what you have written
                    >about
                    >the films, including your essay in Tolkien on Film, your brief comments
                    >about Howard Shore's score in Middle-earth Minstrel that got blown out of
                    >proportion in a review of that book

                    They did. Some people have a very protective attitude towards old Howard.
                    At a much earlier date on some list, possibly here, I first expressed my
                    opinion that his music was competent hackwork, no more than that, and
                    someone reacted with incredulity that my prejudice against Jackson was so
                    overwhelming that I even took it out on the innocent music. Actually, I'm
                    better-qualified to review classical and pseudo-classical music than I am to
                    review movies: I actually have a job doing it.

                    >I will say that I am confident that it is highly likely that I have
                    >followed
                    >the details about the new films more closely than you have, and that I am
                    >equally confident that it is quite likely that your reaction overall will
                    >be
                    >even more negative than it was to the LotR films (though I won't give
                    >details; what would be the fun of that?).

                    In that case, I thank you for not revealing the details. As I said, that's
                    why I'm going on the first day, to get the most untrammeled reaction that I
                    can.

                    >The one thing that I can say with
                    >complete confidence, however, is that I will find what you have say about
                    >the films interesting and worthwhile.

                    Well, thank you. Every once in a while a novel or movie comes along that's
                    so bad that one reads or sits through it for the sheer pleasure of taking it
                    apart afterwards. I hold out hope that The Hobbit will not be that movie.
                  • David Emerson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 13, 2012
                      >From: "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...>
                      >
                      >...The one thing that I can say with
                      >complete confidence, however, is that I will find what you [D. Bratman] have say about
                      >the films interesting and worthwhile.

                      My sentiments exactly! I'm looking forward to my fellow David's comments more than to the film itself.

                      David Emerson
                    • Mich
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 13, 2012

                        I agree I am looking forwerd to people's comments about the film for shure. of korceI will have commentsof myoan as well. from Mich.
                        >complete confidence, however, is that I will find what you [D. Bratman] have say about
                        >the films interesting and worthwhile.

                        My sentiments exactly! I'm looking forward to my fellow David's comments more than to the film itself.

                        David Emerson

                      • John Rateliff
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 13, 2012

                          On Nov 12, 2012, at 11:26 AM, David Bratman wrote:

                          . . .    Some people have a very protective attitude towards old Howard.
                          At a much earlier date on some list, possibly here, I first expressed my
                          opinion that his music was competent hackwork, no more than that, and
                          someone reacted with incredulity that my prejudice against Jackson was so
                          overwhelming that I even took it out on the innocent music.  Actually, I'm
                          better-qualified to review classical and pseudo-classical music than I am to
                          review movies: I actually have a job doing it.

                          Which reminds me: for those looking forward to Shore's soundtrack, the cd goes on sale December 11th, three days before the movie comes out.

                          Those who want to avoid spoilers shd not look at the list of track titles, though, since they give clues as to which scenes from the original will be included (and also what some of the interpolated scenes must be).

                          --John R.
                        • Doug Kane
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 13, 2012
                            For those who can't wait that long, it is available for listening at:  http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35757