Re: [mythsoc] what are people's thoughts on the upcoming Hobbett movie?

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
      O.K., so it's actually in the Arundel Mills Mall, which makes it even closer to me.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 11/10/2012 4:39:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, asthiggins@... writes:

      it will be a mini conference around the screening of the Hobbit details here

      Best Andy

      Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins

      Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
      Glyn debourne (andrew.higgins@...)
      and now a word from our supporters......
      http://glyndebourne.com/supporting-glyndebourne

      asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Facebook/Twitter
      Mobile 07500 827793
      And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

      On 10 Nov 2012, at 21:21, WendellWag@... wrote:

      What is the Baltimore Mythmoot?

      In a message dated 11/10/2012 12:54:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, asthiggins@... writes:
      We will have fun scoring who was right at the opening of the film at the Baltimore Mythmoot!

    • Gerry Blair
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 12, 2012

        I am looking forward to seeing The Hobbit film despite any misgivings I may have. I will admit the first time I saw the dwarves they seemed almost cartoon like and obviously “fake” looking, though how an imaginary being could look real I don’t know. I did know this was not how I imagined them, but they have begun to grow on me. I do give MR. Jackson credit for having made an entertaining movie from LOTR, visually stunning, some things very cool and much like I had imagined them, others not so much. I never went to the theater to see the LOTR films because I am a firm believer that movies seldom if ever can do justice to a book. Yet after seeing them at home on DVD, they were fun to watch. I’m quite sure I will go to a theater to see The Hobbit; I won’t be able to resist. I think what disturbs me the most is after seeing the films I tend to see things as they appear in the films not as I would if it were left only to the imagination, and some how I think that is how it should be, seen in the eye of one’s own imagination. I think there in the minds eye is the real magic of Faërie. When I see the movie I’ll remember this is not Tolkien’s story it is Peter Jackson’s. Yet being a Tolkien fan it is very cool to see some pretty good attempts to capture the magic of Faërie on film.

        Gerry Blair