SCREWTAPISH

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2000
      I was at a "Christian Family Store" today - few books indeed! - but one of
      them was "Lord Foulgrin's Letters" by Alcorn. This was really strange; it
      went beyond "retelling for a modern audience," but didn't exactly reach
      =originality=, either. I did not check letter-by-letter for correspondences,
      but the story ends up with the apprentice Tempter failing, the "patient"
      dying suddenly, his after-experience described (in far more detail than
      Lewis' fiends were able to see), and Lord Foulgrin raging for the devouring
      of his apprentice - but in this case forestalled by a power-play which makes
      =him= the final victim. Not only that, there were whole turns of phrase such
      as "this being, born in a bed" (or very similar wording) used of the dead
      human.

      "Derivative" may be the word I'm looking for. Yet it's acceptably written
      and if it would help modern readers with their struggles, I am sure CSL
      wouldn't mind.

      Mary S