Re: [mythsoc] what are people's thoughts on the upcoming Hobbett movie?

  • Mich
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
      Well now I have to ask where did you hear snippits from the soundtrack? I have this soundtrack on my christmass list since I saw that amazon has pree orders for it when it comes out on dec 11. I would like to hear the diffrent songs etc from the soundtrack. I to amlooking forwerd to seeing The Hobbett but like others have said I will see it on oapening day but not at midnight simpley do to the fact taht my theaider doesn't offer midnight showings. from Mich.
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
        Assuming that I have money TO go to see it, I'm sort of looking forward to
        it.

        After the mangling Jackson did on the latter half of LOTR (messing with
        Faramir's character, totally screwing up Aragorn's motivations, the
        stupidity of tieing Arwen's existence to the Ring), I am disinclined to
        give him a free ride on handling the story of the Hobbit and the
        extensions he is making.

        That said, I have always wanted the story of Gandalf's adventure into Dol
        Guldur to find out who the Necromancer was. Ya got me there.

        As for casting: I am not so locked into "only THIS actor can EVER play
        such and such". I am used to seeing different actors perform a specific
        role -- Hamlet being my primary example (I like seeing what the next
        person will make of the character). And fond as I am of Ian Holm, he is
        FAR too old to play Bilbo now. I have liked Martin Freeman in SHERLOCK,
        and in that performance as Watson can see he is a VERY GOOD actor. I trust
        him to hit just the right note with Bilbo and I am looking forward to it.
        I'm also gleefully anticipating hearing Benedict Cumberbatch doing the
        voice of Smaug -- I really want to see the scenes between Bilbo and Smaug.

        I expect the film to be visually impressive -- I will give Jackson credit
        for that in LOTR. Those films were a masterful visual presentation of
        Middle-earth. And though I might have chosen to handle things differently
        (for instance, does Elrond REALLY have to look so "weedy"?) over-all it
        pleased the eye.

        So, I view Jackson's HOBBIT with pre-judgement withheld. I'll wait and see.

        Still don't see how he can get three films out of it.

      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012

          Doug

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012

            Hello All

            For those who are interested for about the last year Corey Olsen (The Tolkien Professor author of the excellent  Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit) has been recording podcasts called Riddles in the Dark where many elements of the upcoming Hobbits film have been explored and predictions made - the link page can be found on the Mythgard Institute Page.

            Yours truly is currently auditing The History of the Hobbit course where we just had two sessions with the excellent Douglas Anderson on The History of Hobbit publication and last Thursday a brilliant online talk about The History of Fantasy Literature through looking at how these books were marketed and promoted (my reading list of early Fantasy lit has greatly expanded).
            Earlier in the course we had talks by the equally excellent John Rateliff on The History of the Hobbit which we read through.    Spring courses will repeat The History of the Hobbit course again and (be still my heart) Dr Verlyn Flieger will be teaching her Tolkien course which I will audit (her Arthurian Lit course last summer was one of the most enriching academic experiences I have ever had).

            Its all here at this link - and believe me we have debated everything from the role of the Ring in the Movies to Radagast and his Rabbit sled to whether there will be flashbacks to the Battle of Azanulbizar and what exactly is this Tomb of the Nazgul?

            Link to Riddles in the Dark is here
            http://www.mythgard.org/exclusives/riddles-in-the-dark/

            We will have fun scoring who was right at the opening of the film at the Baltimore Mythmoot!

            Thanks, Andy

            Doug

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
              What is the Baltimore Mythmoot?

              In a message dated 11/10/2012 12:54:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, asthiggins@... writes:
              We will have fun scoring who was right at the opening of the film at the Baltimore Mythmoot!
            • dale nelson
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
                From the trailers, it looks to me like another dumb fantasy movie, with millions of dollars' worth of special effects and no real magic.

                Dale Nelson

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
                  O.K., so it's actually in the Arundel Mills Mall, which makes it even closer to me.

                  Wendell Wagner

                  In a message dated 11/10/2012 4:39:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, asthiggins@... writes:

                  it will be a mini conference around the screening of the Hobbit details here

                  Best Andy

                  Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins

                  Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
                  Glyn debourne (andrew.higgins@...)
                  and now a word from our supporters......
                  http://glyndebourne.com/supporting-glyndebourne

                  asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Facebook/Twitter
                  Mobile 07500 827793
                  And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 12, 2012

                      I am looking forward to seeing The Hobbit film despite any misgivings I may have. I will admit the first time I saw the dwarves they seemed almost cartoon like and obviously “fake” looking, though how an imaginary being could look real I don’t know. I did know this was not how I imagined them, but they have begun to grow on me. I do give MR. Jackson credit for having made an entertaining movie from LOTR, visually stunning, some things very cool and much like I had imagined them, others not so much. I never went to the theater to see the LOTR films because I am a firm believer that movies seldom if ever can do justice to a book. Yet after seeing them at home on DVD, they were fun to watch. I’m quite sure I will go to a theater to see The Hobbit; I won’t be able to resist. I think what disturbs me the most is after seeing the films I tend to see things as they appear in the films not as I would if it were left only to the imagination, and some how I think that is how it should be, seen in the eye of one’s own imagination. I think there in the minds eye is the real magic of Faërie. When I see the movie I’ll remember this is not Tolkien’s story it is Peter Jackson’s. Yet being a Tolkien fan it is very cool to see some pretty good attempts to capture the magic of Faërie on film.

                      Gerry Blair