what are people's thoughts on the upcoming Hobbett movie?

  • Mich
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
      Hi all. I thought I would get a discussion going. I would like to know what people's thoughts are on the upcoming Hobbit movie?? are you looking forward to seeing it? do you think it will be as good as lotr? what do you think of the new actors playing the roles of the dwarves and the new actor playing the role of Bilbo? and what are your thoughts on some of the older actors reprising there roles that they had in the lotr films? visually do you think it will be the same? or different then the lotr movies? and this same question go's for the story do you think it will stick true to the book?For me it does look good and the only issue that I have is the fact that they didn't stick with Ian Holm playing the role of young Bilbo since as I have pointed out before in the seen where he finds the ring we hear his voice say what's this? now will they just re right that hole seen for the hobbit? since the idea of 2 diffrent people doing this seen to me  just doesn't work. having 2 people playing the same character in my view. well discuss. from Mich.
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
        Perhaps you haven't been around on this mailing list very long.  You are aware, aren't you, that a lot of people on this mailing list didn't much like the Peter Jackson movies of The Lord of the Rings?

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
          Hi I have not bin around on this list forverry long no only for a few months and that is it. I wasn't around when lotr came out at least not on this list I meen. Why didn't people like the lotr movies? I thought they were verry well dun. I know the outrage that people felt in rotk when elron was saying that arwin's fate was tyed to the fate of the ring witch it wasn't but I have not seen any other negitive reaction to the lotr films. from Mich.
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
            Looking forward to seeing it? Yes, very much so.
            I too wd have preferred Ian Holm, but from the clips it looks like Freeman will do a good job. We'll see how it all comes out, very soon now.
            As for the others reprising their characters: yes, of course: it'll be good to see McKellan and Serkis again, along with 'Galadriel' and Lee. Here's hoping they keep Bloom to a cameo . . .

            --John R.

            On Nov 10, 2012, at 6:55 AM, Mich wrote:
[...]

          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
              Jo and I will certainly go see the Jackson Hobbit but not on the first night.  The midnight showing may attract its share of what Lester Simons (bless his memory) called “costumed loonies.”

              The Far Westfarthing smial is re-reading the book for our Nov. 30 meeting.  Discussion of the film will probably ensue when we meet in December.

              The question of how Jackson will get three films out of one book will be answered then.  It could be like brewing three cups of tea out of one Lipton’s teabag, or spreading one long crusty loaf with one pat of nutter,

              Mike

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012

                I to will go and see it but hear in New lIskeard my small town We only have 1 theaider and it doesn't even have midnight showings all movies start at 7 30 in the evening. so I to will go and see it for shure. from Mich.

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
                  I'll bite, if only to help provide a little balance to the inevitable "Peter Jackson is the worst thing to ever happen to Tolkien" responses.

                  I'm looking forward to the films with a mixture of excitement and dread.  Well, not so much dread, as the sure knowledge that there will be aspects of the films that I will absolutely hate.  But I also am equally sure that there will be parts that I will love, and that is better than what I expected before the LotR films came out.

                  My preference would have been for a single film that was limited to adapting the book "The Hobbit" to film.  But I'm intrigued to see how they expand the story using the limited clues that Tolkien provided in the LotR appendices.  From some of what I have seen, they seem to have at the least pushed the limits of at the least being strongly influenced by material in works that they do not (at least so far as we know publicly) have the rights to (primarily "The Quest of Erebor"), and I'm quite interested to see how that plays out (even while knowing with eyes wide open based on the LotR films that the parts that are not closely based on what Tolkien wrote are likely to be by far the worst parts).

                  I'm looking forward to films that have a fair bit more humor than the LotR films, but at the same time, there is Tolkien humor, that I love (e.g., the "good morning" sequence at the beginning of the book), and there is Peter Jackson humor (e.g, fart jokes and the like) that I most definitely do not like.  I suspect that there will be a fair amount of the latter that will make me wince.  But having heard snippets from the soundtrack, I know that the dwarves sing "Chip the Glasses" very well, and it makes me smile every time I think "That's what Bilbo Baggins' hates!"  In general, the soundtrack sounds very good, with much of the qualities from the LotR soundtrack that I liked very much, and less of the excessive bombast that I wasn't thrilled with.  However, I'm only heard one minute snippets from each track, so that isn't enough to judge by.

                  As for having Sir Ian Holm come back, he simply is too old for the part now.  But Martin Freeman looks to be very, very good, capturing that quality of a comfortable bourgeois English gentleman suddenly thrown out of his comfort zone and finding hidden reserves.  And Richard Armitage, despite being younger than my imagination of Thorin (and having far too short of beard), looks to be able to capture that commanding, conflicted quality that makes that character so compelling.  Of course, Ian McKellen is one of the greatest actors of our time, and Cate Blanchett comes as close to capturing Galadriel as anyone could.

                  In short, I am once again expecting to be annoyed and angry at the "drawing of smiley faces on a masterpiece" as I was with the LotR films.  But I'm also expecting the masterpiece to be there to have the smiley faces drawn upon.

                  On a final note, I am interested to see how the films look in the new 48 fps format that has proven so controversial.  Of course only about 10% of the theaters will be showing in the higher frame rate, but I definitely intend to watch it that way first (probably not on the opening day) and then watch it the more traditional format to compare it with.

                  Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 7:29 AM

                  Looking forward to seeing it? Yes, very much so.
                  I too wd have preferred Ian Holm, but from the clips it looks like Freeman will do a good job. We'll see how it all comes out, very soon now.
                  As for the others reprising their chares, of course: it'll be good to see McKellan and Serkis again, along with 'Galadriel' and Lee. Here's hoping they keep Bloom to a cameo . . .

[...]

                  No virus found in this message.

                • Mich
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
                    Well now I have to ask where did you hear snippits from the soundtrack? I have this soundtrack on my christmass list since I saw that amazon has pree orders for it when it comes out on dec 11. I would like to hear the diffrent songs etc from the soundtrack. I to amlooking forwerd to seeing The Hobbett but like others have said I will see it on oapening day but not at midnight simpley do to the fact taht my theaider doesn't offer midnight showings. from Mich.

                    Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 7:29 AM

                  • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
                      Assuming that I have money TO go to see it, I'm sort of looking forward to
                      it.

                      After the mangling Jackson did on the latter half of LOTR (messing with
                      Faramir's character, totally screwing up Aragorn's motivations, the
                      stupidity of tieing Arwen's existence to the Ring), I am disinclined to
                      give him a free ride on handling the story of the Hobbit and the
                      extensions he is making.

                      That said, I have always wanted the story of Gandalf's adventure into Dol
                      Guldur to find out who the Necromancer was. Ya got me there.

                      As for casting: I am not so locked into "only THIS actor can EVER play
                      such and such". I am used to seeing different actors perform a specific
                      role -- Hamlet being my primary example (I like seeing what the next
                      person will make of the character). And fond as I am of Ian Holm, he is
                      FAR too old to play Bilbo now. I have liked Martin Freeman in SHERLOCK,
                      and in that performance as Watson can see he is a VERY GOOD actor. I trust
                      him to hit just the right note with Bilbo and I am looking forward to it.
                      I'm also gleefully anticipating hearing Benedict Cumberbatch doing the
                      voice of Smaug -- I really want to see the scenes between Bilbo and Smaug.

                      I expect the film to be visually impressive -- I will give Jackson credit
                      for that in LOTR. Those films were a masterful visual presentation of
                      Middle-earth. And though I might have chosen to handle things differently
                      (for instance, does Elrond REALLY have to look so "weedy"?) over-all it
                      pleased the eye.

                      So, I view Jackson's HOBBIT with pre-judgement withheld. I'll wait and see.

                      Still don't see how he can get three films out of it.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012

                        Doug

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012

                          Hello All

                          For those who are interested for about the last year Corey Olsen (The Tolkien Professor author of the excellent  Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit) has been recording podcasts called Riddles in the Dark where many elements of the upcoming Hobbits film have been explored and predictions made - the link page can be found on the Mythgard Institute Page.

                          Yours truly is currently auditing The History of the Hobbit course where we just had two sessions with the excellent Douglas Anderson on The History of Hobbit publication and last Thursday a brilliant online talk about The History of Fantasy Literature through looking at how these books were marketed and promoted (my reading list of early Fantasy lit has greatly expanded).
                          Earlier in the course we had talks by the equally excellent John Rateliff on The History of the Hobbit which we read through.    Spring courses will repeat The History of the Hobbit course again and (be still my heart) Dr Verlyn Flieger will be teaching her Tolkien course which I will audit (her Arthurian Lit course last summer was one of the most enriching academic experiences I have ever had).

                          Its all here at this link - and believe me we have debated everything from the role of the Ring in the Movies to Radagast and his Rabbit sled to whether there will be flashbacks to the Battle of Azanulbizar and what exactly is this Tomb of the Nazgul?

                          Link to Riddles in the Dark is here
                          http://www.mythgard.org/exclusives/riddles-in-the-dark/

                          We will have fun scoring who was right at the opening of the film at the Baltimore Mythmoot!

                          Thanks, Andy

                          Doug

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
                            What is the Baltimore Mythmoot?

                            In a message dated 11/10/2012 12:54:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, asthiggins@... writes:
                            We will have fun scoring who was right at the opening of the film at the Baltimore Mythmoot!
                          • dale nelson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
                              From the trailers, it looks to me like another dumb fantasy movie, with millions of dollars' worth of special effects and no real magic.

                              Dale Nelson

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 10, 2012
                                O.K., so it's actually in the Arundel Mills Mall, which makes it even closer to me.

                                Wendell Wagner

                                In a message dated 11/10/2012 4:39:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, asthiggins@... writes:

                                it will be a mini conference around the screening of the Hobbit details here

                                Best Andy

                                Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins

                                Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
                                Glyn debourne (andrew.higgins@...)
                                and now a word from our supporters......
                                http://glyndebourne.com/supporting-glyndebourne

                                asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Facebook/Twitter
                                Mobile 07500 827793
                                And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 12, 2012

                                    I am looking forward to seeing The Hobbit film despite any misgivings I may have. I will admit the first time I saw the dwarves they seemed almost cartoon like and obviously “fake” looking, though how an imaginary being could look real I don’t know. I did know this was not how I imagined them, but they have begun to grow on me. I do give MR. Jackson credit for having made an entertaining movie from LOTR, visually stunning, some things very cool and much like I had imagined them, others not so much. I never went to the theater to see the LOTR films because I am a firm believer that movies seldom if ever can do justice to a book. Yet after seeing them at home on DVD, they were fun to watch. I’m quite sure I will go to a theater to see The Hobbit; I won’t be able to resist. I think what disturbs me the most is after seeing the films I tend to see things as they appear in the films not as I would if it were left only to the imagination, and some how I think that is how it should be, seen in the eye of one’s own imagination. I think there in the minds eye is the real magic of Faërie. When I see the movie I’ll remember this is not Tolkien’s story it is Peter Jackson’s. Yet being a Tolkien fan it is very cool to see some pretty good attempts to capture the magic of Faërie on film.

                                    Gerry Blair