Re: [mythsoc] it's coming

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 9, 2012
      What makes you think I'd be able to avoid this movie by not seeing it?  Should I retire from Tolkien fandom permanently, and hide out in a hermitage from the world for the next three years?  That would be the only way to do so.  Better I should see it as soon as possible, and not have my first reaction influenced by others'.

      As for fighting the crowds, I won't have to.  I have a ticket already.

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 9, 2012
        >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
        >
        >I feel like I've signed my own death certificate.
        >
        >I've just bought my ticket to the December 14th premiere of part one of the Hobbit movie. (Online at Fandango.)
        >
        >Weep with me.
        >------------------------------------

        You can run, but you can't hide.

        emerdavid
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 9, 2012
          You know you already hate it.

          But now you will have reasons.

          Far Westfarthing smial is re-reading The Hobbit for Nov. 30.  If we don’t get past the chapters with Radagast (how the Fudd did we miss those on our 40 years of previous readings?), there’s always next year.

          Mike

          Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:17 PM

          href="mailto:dbratman%40earthlink.net">mailto:dbratman%40earthlink.net>

          feel like I've signed my own death certificate.

          >I've just bought
          my ticket to the December 14th premiere of part one of the Hobbit movie. (Online at Fandango.)

          >Weep with
          me.
          >------------------------------------

          You can run, but you can't hide.

          emerdavid

        • Linda DeMars

            Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:17 PM

            >I feel like I've signed my own death certificate.
            >
            >I've just bought my ticket to the December 14th premiere of part one of the Hobbit movie. (Online at Fandango.)
            >
            >Weep with me.
            >------------------------------------

            You can run, but you can't hide.

            emerdavid

          • Linda DeMars
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 9, 2012
              Sometime I'll be seeing it.
              I was going to go with a diverse group of Tolkien friends---but I think going at Midnight is sort of late since I have a busy weekend ahead.  Oh  dear, am I getting old?

              Linda

              On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

              I feel like I've signed my own death certificate.

              I've just bought my ticket to the December 14th premiere of part one of the Hobbit movie. (Online at Fandango.)

              Weep with me.

            • Doug Kane
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 10, 2012
                Even if you have a ticket, you are still going to have to wait on a long line to get in.

                As for your having your first reaction influenced by others, I don't think there is much chance of that.  You're a pretty strong-willed person by all accounts.  Besides, I'm pretty sure that you already know what your first reaction will be:  horror, mixed with a fair amount of disgust, tinged by anger, and sadness about what could have been.

                Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 6:21 PM

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 10, 2012
                  There is indeed hope for the next generation as long as parents read to their children (and/or their children are good readers on their own).

                  I made sure to read THE HOBBIT and LotR aloud to my sons (aged 10 and 7) before I would let them see any of the movies. I managed to get the jump on VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER as well (a movie I still refuse to see, based on even the positive reviews giving me the creeping horrors -- but my oldest son said he liked the sea serpent).

                  Unfortunately I was unable to get ahead of them on PRINCE CASPIAN (which we are reading together now) or THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE -- though the latter was the one movie in the entire set of Narnia and LotR films that I enjoyed and thought was mostly done right, so I didn't feel quite so bad about that.

                  Anyway, in spite of my feeling that the LotR films looked pretty but the dialogue and characterization was horrible (and in several cases the casting as well -- Hugo Weaving as Perpetually!Grumpy!Elrond, no thanks), I am still looking forward to THE HOBBIT, which I guess makes me an optimist. At least now I know that my kids will spot the parts that were Definitely Not In The Book and the parts where The Book Was So Much Better, and we can talk about them afterward (as we did with the LotR films). Also, I think Martin Freeman will make a splendid Bilbo, if nothing else, and I have no objection to good-looking dwarves even if they are (the good-looking ones, anyway) all doomed to die in the end.*
                  --
                  Rebecca

                  * Though if Jackson et al have decided to spare Kili so he can make eyes at some cute non-bearded female dwarf just before the closing credits, you will be able to hear my howl of outrage from a thousand leagues away.

                  --
                  Forget everything you think you know about faeries...

                  KNIFE (2009) | REBEL (2010) | ARROW (2011)
                  SWIFT (March 2012)
                  by R.J. Anderson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012
                    "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

                    >Even if you have a ticket, you are still going to have to wait on a long
                    >line to get
                    >in.

                    You had said "fight crowds." I won't have to fight crowds. I'll just wait
                    in line and read a book, which is what I'd be doing at home if I weren't
                    there anyway. It would be a strange way to save time by waiting weeks,
                    maybe, to get around to seeing the movie just to avoid having to stand in
                    line for maybe an hour. Weeks are longer than an hour.

                    >As for your having your first reaction influenced by others, I don't think
                    >there is
                    >much chance of that. You're a pretty strong-willed person by all accounts.

                    What, you think I'm afraid that a favorable review would turn my head?
                    There's a lot more to reactions and their influence on people than a simple
                    yea-or-nay.

                    >Besides, I'm pretty sure that you already know what your first reaction
                    >will be:
                    >horror, mixed with a fair amount of disgust, tinged by anger, and sadness
                    >about
                    >what could have been.

                    And reactions to a movie are more than simply ranking it on a 1-to-10 scale.
                    Even leaving aside Jackson's ability to do some things well and enjoyably,
                    even from the point of view of complete prior antipathy there is always the
                    question of exactly _how_ he will screw it up, and how badly.

                    On both accounts, this isn't just a two-state process, on or off, up or
                    down, yea or nay. I'm surprised at the attempt not to see that.

                      Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:17 PM

                      >I feel like I've signed my own death certificate.
                      >
                      >I've just bought my ticket to the December 14th premiere of part one of the Hobbit movie. (Online at Fandango.)
                      >
                      >Weep with me.
                      >------------------------------------

                      You can run, but you can't hide.

                      emerdavid

                    • Doug Kane
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012
                        Fair enough, David.  I think I have read most of what you have written about the films, including your essay in Tolkien on Film, your brief comments about Howard Shore's score in Middle-earth Minstrel that got blown out of proportion in a review of that book, and the entertaining though sometimes acrimonious discussions on this list, much of which predate my time on it.  I actually agree with much of what I have seen that you have said, though my overall opinion of the films are undoubtedly higher than yours (which actually supports your main point that it isn't a two-state process).  I will say that I am confident that it is highly likely that I have followed the details about the new films more closely than you have, and that I am equally confident that it is quite likely that your reaction overall will be even more negative than it was to the LotR films (though I won't give details; what would be the fun of that?).  The one thing that I can say with complete confidence, however, is that I will find what you have say about the films interesting and worthwhile.

                        Doug

                        Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012

                          Hi all. as a new member to this list and as others have said I to wasn't on this list when the lotr films came out I would like to know where I would be able to read David's Rightings on the lotr films and on the scor and all the stuff that he wrote about the lotr films and also on his thoughts on the upcoming Hobbett films? from Mich.

                          Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012

                            David’s essay “Summa Jacksonica: A Reply to Defenses of Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings films, after St. Thomas Aquinas” and a number of other articles are available in the Mythopoeic Press’s book Tolkien on Film:

                            http://www.mythsoc.org/press/tolkien-on-film/

                            Janet Brennan Croft

                            Associate Professor
                            Head of Access Services
                            University of Oklahoma Libraries
                            Bizzell 106NW
                            Norman OK 73019
                            405-325-1918
                            Fax 405-325-7618
                            jbcroft@...
                            http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

                            http://libraries.ou.edu/
                            Editor of Mythlore
                            http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                            “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

                            Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012
                              Which (as Janet is no doubt too modest to point out), is edited by her, and contains her own fine essay "Mithril Coats and Tin Ears: ‘Anticipation’ and ‘Flattening’ in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Trilogy."

                              The other essay that I referred to is "Liquid Tolkien: Music, Tolkien, Middle-earth, and More Music" in Middle-earth Minstrel: Essays on Music in Tolkien. Edited by Bradford Lee Eden. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 2010. 140-170.  Although the comments about the score are a very brief portion in an essay about Tolkien-inspired music.

                              As for comments made here on this list, there is a searchable archive if someone is intrepid enough to search through it for old discussions about the films.

                              Doug

                              Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012

                                  Why thank you!

                                  I was just talking to my daughter about how Jackson is likely to “anticipate” things in The Hobbit movies, based on the trailers, ratcheting up the violence/horror factors early on and leaving nothing to build up to. If Bilbo is involved in a sword fight with a goblin under the Misty Mountains, as he appears to be, it makes the bravery of drawing a sword on the spiders later a bit anticlimactic.

                                  Janet

                                  Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:58 AM

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 12, 2012
                                    "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

                                    >Fair enough, David. I think I have read most of what you have written
                                    >about
                                    >the films, including your essay in Tolkien on Film, your brief comments
                                    >about Howard Shore's score in Middle-earth Minstrel that got blown out of
                                    >proportion in a review of that book

                                    They did. Some people have a very protective attitude towards old Howard.
                                    At a much earlier date on some list, possibly here, I first expressed my
                                    opinion that his music was competent hackwork, no more than that, and
                                    someone reacted with incredulity that my prejudice against Jackson was so
                                    overwhelming that I even took it out on the innocent music. Actually, I'm
                                    better-qualified to review classical and pseudo-classical music than I am to
                                    review movies: I actually have a job doing it.

                                    >I will say that I am confident that it is highly likely that I have
                                    >followed
                                    >the details about the new films more closely than you have, and that I am
                                    >equally confident that it is quite likely that your reaction overall will
                                    >be
                                    >even more negative than it was to the LotR films (though I won't give
                                    >details; what would be the fun of that?).

                                    In that case, I thank you for not revealing the details. As I said, that's
                                    why I'm going on the first day, to get the most untrammeled reaction that I
                                    can.

                                    >The one thing that I can say with
                                    >complete confidence, however, is that I will find what you have say about
                                    >the films interesting and worthwhile.

                                    Well, thank you. Every once in a while a novel or movie comes along that's
                                    so bad that one reads or sits through it for the sheer pleasure of taking it
                                    apart afterwards. I hold out hope that The Hobbit will not be that movie.
                                  • David Emerson
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 13, 2012
                                      >From: "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...>
                                      >
                                      >...The one thing that I can say with
                                      >complete confidence, however, is that I will find what you [D. Bratman] have say about
                                      >the films interesting and worthwhile.

                                      My sentiments exactly! I'm looking forward to my fellow David's comments more than to the film itself.

                                      David Emerson
                                    • Mich
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 13, 2012

                                        I agree I am looking forwerd to people's comments about the film for shure. of korceI will have commentsof myoan as well. from Mich.
                                        >complete confidence, however, is that I will find what you [D. Bratman] have say about
                                        >the films interesting and worthwhile.

                                        My sentiments exactly! I'm looking forward to my fellow David's comments more than to the film itself.

                                        David Emerson

                                      • John Rateliff
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 13, 2012

                                          On Nov 12, 2012, at 11:26 AM, David Bratman wrote:

                                          . . .    Some people have a very protective attitude towards old Howard.
                                          At a much earlier date on some list, possibly here, I first expressed my
                                          opinion that his music was competent hackwork, no more than that, and
                                          someone reacted with incredulity that my prejudice against Jackson was so
                                          overwhelming that I even took it out on the innocent music.  Actually, I'm
                                          better-qualified to review classical and pseudo-classical music than I am to
                                          review movies: I actually have a job doing it.

                                          Which reminds me: for those looking forward to Shore's soundtrack, the cd goes on sale December 11th, three days before the movie comes out.

                                          Those who want to avoid spoilers shd not look at the list of track titles, though, since they give clues as to which scenes from the original will be included (and also what some of the interpolated scenes must be).

                                          --John R.
                                        • Doug Kane
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 13, 2012
                                            For those who can't wait that long, it is available for listening at:  http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35757