Re: [mythsoc] Landscape

  • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 9, 2012
      John, it wasn't clear to me if you are asking about specific works
      analysed for their landscapes, or if you are asking general questions
      about landscape symbolism, etc. in stories.

      I have written about the significance of landscape and environment in
      stories.

      There's a very old "Mythopoesis" column I wrote for MYTHLORE, posted on my
      website.
      http://www.scribblerworks.us/articles/Mythopoesis-geography.htm

      And then there's a whole section in my book THE SCRIBBLER'S GUIDE TO MYTH
      that deals with the symbolism of the physical environment. In the
      annotated table of contents on the book's site, you'll note that I also
      have sections on weather and time of day & year as significant.
      http://scribblersguidetomyth.com/blog/the-books-table-of-contents/

      Your question made me realize that I have not actually done a post for the
      blog on landscape (what's in the book is pretty straightforward).

      The book is available on Amazon in hard copy and Kindle version.

      If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I'm actually beginning
      work on a presentation to artists about symbolic significance of landscape
      and such.

      Best, Sarah Beach

      > Does anyone know of any books (or even published articles) written on the
      > importance of landscape in fantasy? I'm sure there must be some out there,
      > but a quick trawl of Amazon and ABE failed to find me any.
      >
      > John
    • aveeris523
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 14, 2012
        Some more contributions:

        City of Lost Children

        Dreamchild (part fantasy bio of Lewis Carroll, starring Ian Holm)

        Return to Oz

        The Navigator (1988, party of 14th Cent. pilgrims travel into the future to find a way to fight the plague)

        Time Bandits

        Wings of Desire

                Steve Gaddis

        Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:06 AM
        Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Truly great films of the fantastic

        Tarsem Singh's "The Fall".

        Del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth".

        Everything Hayao Miyazaki has done for Studio Ghibli.

        -- David Emerson

        Would listfolk like to offer their nominations for films that prove that the motion picture may be an art form truly worthy of the fantastic imagination?