Re: [mythsoc] Landscape

  • Alana Joli Abbott
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 9, 2012
      My immediate response (before I fully read your message) was about books that are printed in landscape layout, like Leslie Marmon Silko's Storyteller, which emphasizes the different way people take in information if they are reading in the way that they view the horizon.

      Clearly, however, this is not an actual answer to the question.

      -Alana

      On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 6:20 AM, John Davis <john@...> wrote:

      Does anyone know of any books (or even published articles) written on the importance of landscape in fantasy? I'm sure there must be some out there, but a quick trawl of Amazon and ABE failed to find me any.

      John

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
      Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

    • aveeris523
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 14, 2012
        Some more contributions:

        City of Lost Children

        Dreamchild (part fantasy bio of Lewis Carroll, starring Ian Holm)

        Return to Oz

        The Navigator (1988, party of 14th Cent. pilgrims travel into the future to find a way to fight the plague)

        Time Bandits

        Wings of Desire

                Steve Gaddis

        Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:06 AM
        Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Truly great films of the fantastic

        Tarsem Singh's "The Fall".

        Del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth".

        Everything Hayao Miyazaki has done for Studio Ghibli.

        -- David Emerson

        Would listfolk like to offer their nominations for films that prove that the motion picture may be an art form truly worthy of the fantastic imagination?