Re: [mythsoc] Best fantasy and science fiction of 2012?

  • Joshua Kronengold
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
      On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
      > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
      > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
      > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
      > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
      > nominate for the awards?

      A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
      list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
      particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
      tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

      --
      Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
      --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
        The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

        -Alana

        On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

        On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
        > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
        > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
        > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
        > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
        > nominate for the awards?

        A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
        list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
        particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
        tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
        /\\ domain. OPEN SOURCE." "It's so scary when you say |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
        /-\\\it like that" -- Howard Taylor (Schlock Mercenary) '---''(_/--' (_/-'

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
        Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

      • Lisa Padol
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2012
          Ah, makes sense, thanks. And I have the McKillip collection, Wonders of the Invisible World.

          -Lisa

          The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

          -Alana

          On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

          On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
          > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
          > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
          > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
          > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
          > nominate for the awards?

          A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
          list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
          particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
          tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

          --
          Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
          --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
          /\\ domain. OPEN SOURCE." "It's so scary when you say |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
          /-\\\it like that" -- Howard Taylor (Schlock Mercenary) '---''(_/--' (_/-'

          Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
          Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

        • Jef Murray
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012

               Regarding the question of short story collections, and at the risk of seeming
            too self-promoting, my first book, "Seer: A Wizard's Journal", is a collection
            of short stories, poems, and a few essays. Jason has a review copy that he is
            finding a home for, but I'd welcome the response of others in this group to
            my work. This is my first venture into the publishing world beyond illustration,
            so I'd welcome comments and critiques from the Wise in this group....

                         Jef

            Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                     http://www.JefMurray.com
          • Lisa Padol
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012
              Thanks -- while I'm not quite as bad on short fiction as Josh indicated, I tend to be about a year out of date. And I am likely to be out of date on poetry.

              -Lisa

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                Thanks for all your help. The panel went well, and... I've a list of stuff I want to add to my reading queue.

                -Lisa