Re: [mythsoc] Best fantasy and science fiction of 2012?

  • Lisa Padol
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
      I've seen the Johnson on some other lists. Thus far, I've liked everything of hers I've read. I've also heard good things about Libriomancer. I haven't heard much about the others, but I've seen the Shinn titles in stores.

      -Liss

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
        Thanks! Sounds like that is likely to show up on the YA list for Mythopoeic.

        -Lisa

        I really enjoyed Joan Marie Verba's book SWORD OF QUEENS. I thought it was extremely well-written, and a page turner. I wish it had been longer,  but the ending was quite satisfactory. I have ordered print copies of this book for two of my grandchildren,  age fourteen -cousins,  for Christmas- I am assuming their eleven year old brothers will also read it, and maybe the dad, of two of them,  who is my son. I would like to recommend it for middle school, high school and adults.

        Linda DeMars

        On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Lisa Padol <lpadol@...> wrote:

        I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards. Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to nominate for the awards?

        -Lisa Padol, hoping we can actual make our way to Philcon without a hitch

      • Joshua Kronengold
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
          On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
          > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
          > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
          > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
          > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
          > nominate for the awards?

          A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
          list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
          particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
          tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

          --
          Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
          --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
            The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

            -Alana

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2012
              Ah, makes sense, thanks. And I have the McKillip collection, Wonders of the Invisible World.

              -Lisa

              The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

              -Alana

              On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

              On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
              > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
              > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
              > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
              > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
              > nominate for the awards?

              A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
              list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
              particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
              tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

              --
              Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
              --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
              /\\ domain. OPEN SOURCE." "It's so scary when you say |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
              /-\\\it like that" -- Howard Taylor (Schlock Mercenary) '---''(_/--' (_/-'

              Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
              Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

            • Jef Murray
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012

                   Regarding the question of short story collections, and at the risk of seeming
                too self-promoting, my first book, "Seer: A Wizard's Journal", is a collection
                of short stories, poems, and a few essays. Jason has a review copy that he is
                finding a home for, but I'd welcome the response of others in this group to
                my work. This is my first venture into the publishing world beyond illustration,
                so I'd welcome comments and critiques from the Wise in this group....

                             Jef

                Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                         http://www.JefMurray.com
              • Lisa Padol
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012
                  Thanks -- while I'm not quite as bad on short fiction as Josh indicated, I tend to be about a year out of date. And I am likely to be out of date on poetry.

                  -Lisa

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                    Thanks for all your help. The panel went well, and... I've a list of stuff I want to add to my reading queue.

                    -Lisa