Re: [mythsoc] Best fantasy and science fiction of 2012?

  • Linda DeMars
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
      I really enjoyed Joan Marie Verba's book SWORD OF QUEENS. I thought it was extremely well-written, and a page turner. I wish it had been longer,  but the ending was quite satisfactory. I have ordered print copies of this book for two of my grandchildren,  age fourteen -cousins,  for Christmas- I am assuming their eleven year old brothers will also read it, and maybe the dad, of two of them,  who is my son. I would like to recommend it for middle school, high school and adults.

      Linda DeMars

      On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Lisa Padol <lpadol@...> wrote:

      I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards. Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to nominate for the awards?

      -Lisa Padol, hoping we can actual make our way to Philcon without a hitch

    • Lisa Padol
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
        Ah yes, I've read that one. Lots of fun. Makes me want to reread Stress of Her Regard.

        -Lisa

        I liked the new Tim Powers novel, HIDE ME AMONG THE GRAVES. I plan to
        nominate that.

        Berni

        I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
        Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
        and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
        the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
        nominate for the awards?

        -Lisa Padol, hoping we can actual make our way to Philcon without a hitch

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Lisa Padol
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
          I've seen the Johnson on some other lists. Thus far, I've liked everything of hers I've read. I've also heard good things about Libriomancer. I haven't heard much about the others, but I've seen the Shinn titles in stores.

          -Liss

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
            Thanks! Sounds like that is likely to show up on the YA list for Mythopoeic.

            -Lisa

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
              On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
              > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
              > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
              > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
              > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
              > nominate for the awards?

              A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
              list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
              particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
              tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

              --
              Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
              --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
                The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

                -Alana

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2012
                  Ah, makes sense, thanks. And I have the McKillip collection, Wonders of the Invisible World.

                  -Lisa

                  The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

                  -Alana

                  On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

                  On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
                  > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
                  > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
                  > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
                  > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
                  > nominate for the awards?

                  A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
                  list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
                  particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
                  tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

                  --
                  Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                  --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                  /\\ domain. OPEN SOURCE." "It's so scary when you say |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
                  /-\\\it like that" -- Howard Taylor (Schlock Mercenary) '---''(_/--' (_/-'

                  Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
                  Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

                • Jef Murray
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012

                       Regarding the question of short story collections, and at the risk of seeming
                    too self-promoting, my first book, "Seer: A Wizard's Journal", is a collection
                    of short stories, poems, and a few essays. Jason has a review copy that he is
                    finding a home for, but I'd welcome the response of others in this group to
                    my work. This is my first venture into the publishing world beyond illustration,
                    so I'd welcome comments and critiques from the Wise in this group....

                                 Jef

                    Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                             http://www.JefMurray.com
                  • Lisa Padol
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012
                      Thanks -- while I'm not quite as bad on short fiction as Josh indicated, I tend to be about a year out of date. And I am likely to be out of date on poetry.

                      -Lisa

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                        Thanks for all your help. The panel went well, and... I've a list of stuff I want to add to my reading queue.

                        -Lisa