RE: [mythsoc] Best fantasy and science fiction of 2012?

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
      I liked the new Tim Powers novel, HIDE ME AMONG THE GRAVES. I plan to
      nominate that.

      Berni

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
        Here are some of my top SFF books of the year (though I won't necessarily recommend them all for Mythsoc -- I'm just posting them here based on how much I enjoyed them and would recommend them to others, not necessarily for their mythopoeic qualities).

        * Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone
        * Libriomancer by Jim Himes
        * Shape of Desire (2011) and Still Life with Shape-shifter (2012) by Sharon Shinn
        * At the Mouth of the River of Bees by Kij Johnson

        I am almost certainly going to nominate the Gladstone and the Johnson. The Johnson and the Shinn both also made PW's best SFF books of 2012 lists, so I'm not alone in thinking they're quite good! :)

        -Alana

        On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Berni Phillips <bernip@...> wrote:

        I liked the new Tim Powers novel, HIDE ME AMONG THE GRAVES. I plan to
        nominate that.

        Berni

        I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
        Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
        and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
        the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
        nominate for the awards?

        -Lisa Padol, hoping we can actual make our way to Philcon without a hitch

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
        Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
          For those of you offering suggestions in this thread, let me remind you that I'd love to have reviews of any or all of these for Mythprint.

          Best,
          Jason

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
            I really enjoyed Joan Marie Verba's book SWORD OF QUEENS. I thought it was extremely well-written, and a page turner. I wish it had been longer,  but the ending was quite satisfactory. I have ordered print copies of this book for two of my grandchildren,  age fourteen -cousins,  for Christmas- I am assuming their eleven year old brothers will also read it, and maybe the dad, of two of them,  who is my son. I would like to recommend it for middle school, high school and adults.

            Linda DeMars

            On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Lisa Padol <lpadol@...> wrote:

            I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards. Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to nominate for the awards?

            -Lisa Padol, hoping we can actual make our way to Philcon without a hitch

          • Lisa Padol
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
              Ah yes, I've read that one. Lots of fun. Makes me want to reread Stress of Her Regard.

              -Lisa

              I liked the new Tim Powers novel, HIDE ME AMONG THE GRAVES. I plan to
              nominate that.

              Berni

              I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
              Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
              and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
              the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
              nominate for the awards?

              -Lisa Padol, hoping we can actual make our way to Philcon without a hitch

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Lisa Padol
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                I've seen the Johnson on some other lists. Thus far, I've liked everything of hers I've read. I've also heard good things about Libriomancer. I haven't heard much about the others, but I've seen the Shinn titles in stores.

                -Liss

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                  Thanks! Sounds like that is likely to show up on the YA list for Mythopoeic.

                  -Lisa

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
                    On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
                    > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
                    > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
                    > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
                    > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
                    > nominate for the awards?

                    A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
                    list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
                    particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
                    tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

                    --
                    Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                    --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
                      The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

                      -Alana

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 6, 2012
                        Ah, makes sense, thanks. And I have the McKillip collection, Wonders of the Invisible World.

                        -Lisa

                        The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

                        -Alana

                        On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

                        On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
                        > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
                        > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
                        > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
                        > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
                        > nominate for the awards?

                        A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
                        list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
                        particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
                        tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

                        --
                        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                        --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                        /\\ domain. OPEN SOURCE." "It's so scary when you say |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
                        /-\\\it like that" -- Howard Taylor (Schlock Mercenary) '---''(_/--' (_/-'

                        Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
                        Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

                      • Jef Murray
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012

                             Regarding the question of short story collections, and at the risk of seeming
                          too self-promoting, my first book, "Seer: A Wizard's Journal", is a collection
                          of short stories, poems, and a few essays. Jason has a review copy that he is
                          finding a home for, but I'd welcome the response of others in this group to
                          my work. This is my first venture into the publishing world beyond illustration,
                          so I'd welcome comments and critiques from the Wise in this group....

                                       Jef

                          Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                                   http://www.JefMurray.com
                        • Lisa Padol
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012
                            Thanks -- while I'm not quite as bad on short fiction as Josh indicated, I tend to be about a year out of date. And I am likely to be out of date on poetry.

                            -Lisa

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                              Thanks for all your help. The panel went well, and... I've a list of stuff I want to add to my reading queue.

                              -Lisa