Re: [mythsoc] SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2000
      In a message dated 09/11/2000 2:16:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dporteous@... writes:

      > At any rate Columbus was a lucky fool. As the saying goes, he left not
      > knowing where he was going, when he got there he had no idea where he was
      > and when he got back he'd no idea where he'd been. <g> That's right, make
      > him a saint.

      And besides, St. Brendan had already been there, and him in a mere little
      skin curragh, begorra :)

      Mary S
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2000
        In a message dated 9/11/00 2:25:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << One issue included an
        article about Atlantis, Mu and Lost Continents in general, by L. Sprague de
        Camp, whom I later met as a science fiction writer. It took up Plato,
        Donnelly, and Churchward (the guy who invented Mu/Lemuria) and others,
        dispatching them with a good deal more skepticism than did the A&E show. >>

        There's a 1946 book by L. Sprague de Camp and Catherine C. de Camp (his late
        wife) called _Citadels of Mystery_ (a.k.a. _Ancient Ruins and Archaeology_)
        which is about similar things.

        Wendell Wagner
      • LSolarion@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
          In a message dated 09/10/2000 12:10:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          << the trailers have
          suggested that the idea of Atlantis was behind some of the seafaring of
          Columbus and others.

          That's typical media hype. Columbus was looking for a better route to the
          profitable spice trade of the far east; I'd be surprised if he had even heard
          of Atlantis.
          I have always personally thought the most fascinating lesson we can learn
          about Atlantis and its cousins Mu and Lemuria is the degree to which wishful
          thinking and fancy can overrun reason and knowledge in so many. What other
          subject has spun so vast and detailed a web of nothing out of so little
          knowledge?
        • LSolarion@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
            In a message dated 09/11/2000 11:25:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            Stolzi@... writes:

            << dispatching them with a good deal more skepticism than did the A&E show.

            A&E will only embrace skepticism when it improves their ratings (which it
            will never do, at least not in this anti-rational age). For the forseeable
            (sans crystal balls and tarot cards) future, I think they will go for the
            sensationalized pseudo-mystical mind-candy it churns out at present.
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
              In a message dated 09/14/2000 8:09:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
              LSolarion@... writes:

              > Columbus was looking for a better route to the
              > profitable spice trade of the far east; I'd be surprised if he had even
              > heard
              > of Atlantis.

              Actually according to the show, he was interested in an island, said to be
              out there, called "Antillia." Which I suppose today's Antilles are named
              for.

              Mary S
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
                In a message dated 09/14/2000 9:09:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                LSolarion@... writes:

                << What other subject has spun so vast and detailed a web of nothing out of
                so little
                knowledge? >>

                Well, there's always the Holy Grail. But the Atlantis stuff is vast indeed.

                Lizzie
              • Juliet Blosser
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17, 2000
                  > <<Then the part about Columbus gave us the popular myth of the Evil Spanish
                  > Inquisition out with torches against anyone who had New Ideas - like
                  > Columbus.>>
                  >
                  > The Spanish Inquisition? I would never have expected them in a documentary
                  > about a search for Atlantis. <g>

                  <montypython>NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!</montypython>