Best fantasy and science fiction of 2012?

  • Lisa Padol
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2012
      I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards. Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to nominate for the awards?

      -Lisa Padol, hoping we can actual make our way to Philcon without a hitch
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
        I liked the new Tim Powers novel, HIDE ME AMONG THE GRAVES. I plan to
        nominate that.

        Berni

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
          Here are some of my top SFF books of the year (though I won't necessarily recommend them all for Mythsoc -- I'm just posting them here based on how much I enjoyed them and would recommend them to others, not necessarily for their mythopoeic qualities).

          * Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone
          * Libriomancer by Jim Himes
          * Shape of Desire (2011) and Still Life with Shape-shifter (2012) by Sharon Shinn
          * At the Mouth of the River of Bees by Kij Johnson

          I am almost certainly going to nominate the Gladstone and the Johnson. The Johnson and the Shinn both also made PW's best SFF books of 2012 lists, so I'm not alone in thinking they're quite good! :)

          -Alana

          On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Berni Phillips <bernip@...> wrote:

          I liked the new Tim Powers novel, HIDE ME AMONG THE GRAVES. I plan to
          nominate that.

          Berni

          I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
          Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
          and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
          the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
          nominate for the awards?

          -Lisa Padol, hoping we can actual make our way to Philcon without a hitch

          Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
          Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
            For those of you offering suggestions in this thread, let me remind you that I'd love to have reviews of any or all of these for Mythprint.

            Best,
            Jason

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
              I really enjoyed Joan Marie Verba's book SWORD OF QUEENS. I thought it was extremely well-written, and a page turner. I wish it had been longer,  but the ending was quite satisfactory. I have ordered print copies of this book for two of my grandchildren,  age fourteen -cousins,  for Christmas- I am assuming their eleven year old brothers will also read it, and maybe the dad, of two of them,  who is my son. I would like to recommend it for middle school, high school and adults.

              Linda DeMars

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                Ah yes, I've read that one. Lots of fun. Makes me want to reread Stress of Her Regard.

                -Lisa

                I liked the new Tim Powers novel, HIDE ME AMONG THE GRAVES. I plan to
                nominate that.

                Berni

                I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
                Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
                and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
                the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
                nominate for the awards?

                -Lisa Padol, hoping we can actual make our way to Philcon without a hitch

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Lisa Padol
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                  I've seen the Johnson on some other lists. Thus far, I've liked everything of hers I've read. I've also heard good things about Libriomancer. I haven't heard much about the others, but I've seen the Shinn titles in stores.

                  -Liss

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                    Thanks! Sounds like that is likely to show up on the YA list for Mythopoeic.

                    -Lisa

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
                      On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
                      > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
                      > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
                      > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
                      > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
                      > nominate for the awards?

                      A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
                      list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
                      particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
                      tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

                      --
                      Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                      --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
                        The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

                        -Alana

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 6, 2012
                          Ah, makes sense, thanks. And I have the McKillip collection, Wonders of the Invisible World.

                          -Lisa

                          The Kij Johnson book is a short story collection. I've read a few other collections published this year, but while they may have been worthy, they weren't to my taste. Cat Rambo's Near + Far had some strong stories in it, and might be more up Lisa's alley than it was mine. :)

                          -Alana

                          On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

                          On 11/04/2012 09:44 PM, Lisa Padol wrote:
                          > I am trying to get an early start on reading for the Mythopoeic Awards.
                          > Also, I have been put on a panel at Philcon about the best science fiction
                          > and fantasy of 2012. So, I'm doing a quick poll -- what do folks think is
                          > the best that's been published this year? And what are folks likely to
                          > nominate for the awards?

                          A related question that may not be obvious here (since it turns out that most
                          list/society members are not in fact in our business) is that Lisa is
                          particularly ignorant of recent short stories/novellas of quality, as those
                          tend to buzz past our radar. Anything good this year?

                          --
                          Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                          --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                          /\\ domain. OPEN SOURCE." "It's so scary when you say |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
                          /-\\\it like that" -- Howard Taylor (Schlock Mercenary) '---''(_/--' (_/-'

                          Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
                          Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

                        • Jef Murray
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012

                               Regarding the question of short story collections, and at the risk of seeming
                            too self-promoting, my first book, "Seer: A Wizard's Journal", is a collection
                            of short stories, poems, and a few essays. Jason has a review copy that he is
                            finding a home for, but I'd welcome the response of others in this group to
                            my work. This is my first venture into the publishing world beyond illustration,
                            so I'd welcome comments and critiques from the Wise in this group....

                                         Jef

                            Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                                     http://www.JefMurray.com
                          • Lisa Padol
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012
                              Thanks -- while I'm not quite as bad on short fiction as Josh indicated, I tend to be about a year out of date. And I am likely to be out of date on poetry.

                              -Lisa

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                                Thanks for all your help. The panel went well, and... I've a list of stuff I want to add to my reading queue.

                                -Lisa