Re: [mythsoc] SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS

  • David F. Porteous
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2000
      <<Part I. treats Plato's account of hearing his uncle's account of Atlantis,
      as
      absolute fact, which is surely dubious.>>

      Dubious is putting it mildly. I can't see Atlantis being like a
      pre-christian Urban Legend with everyone, and his uncle, having a mysterious
      sunken city in their garden pond. I think, although I wasn't there to see
      it, that the most likely supposition is true; Plato made it up, perhaps with
      some influence from existing fokelore, but Atlantis, the real Atlantis,
      surely never existed. That said, I did see a wonderful documentary on UK TV
      about 2 years ago which was marvelously entertaining, even going so far as
      to say that Atlantis was actually closer to modern day Mexico than ancient
      Greece and that it was flooded by melt water from the glaciers of the last
      ice age. No doubt those are the same glaciers that were "really"
      responsible for Noah's flood, the glaciers that preserved the loch Ness
      monster and the glaciers that were implicated in Watergate. Absolute
      nonsense, but "good TV" anyway.

      <<Then the part about Columbus gave us the popular myth of the Evil Spanish
      Inquisition out with torches against anyone who had New Ideas - like
      Columbus.>>

      The Spanish Inquisition? I would never have expected them in a documentary
      about a search for Atlantis. <g>

      <<Never mind that Columbus was a devout son of the Church, filled
      his letters with pious palaver, and used to board at monasteries when he was
      in town begging money from Ferdinand and Isabella. (And has even been
      proposed for Sainthood, though he hasn't made it.)>>

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but towards the end didn't old Columbo go a bit
      daft? I heard that he considered himself to be God's right hand in the New
      World -- sort of like a deputy-Christ.

      At any rate Columbus was a lucky fool. As the saying goes, he left not
      knowing where he was going, when he got there he had no idea where he was
      and when he got back he'd no idea where he'd been. <g> That's right, make
      him a saint.

      D.
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2000
        In a message dated 09/11/2000 2:16:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dporteous@... writes:

        > At any rate Columbus was a lucky fool. As the saying goes, he left not
        > knowing where he was going, when he got there he had no idea where he was
        > and when he got back he'd no idea where he'd been. <g> That's right, make
        > him a saint.

        And besides, St. Brendan had already been there, and him in a mere little
        skin curragh, begorra :)

        Mary S
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2000
          In a message dated 9/11/00 2:25:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          << One issue included an
          article about Atlantis, Mu and Lost Continents in general, by L. Sprague de
          Camp, whom I later met as a science fiction writer. It took up Plato,
          Donnelly, and Churchward (the guy who invented Mu/Lemuria) and others,
          dispatching them with a good deal more skepticism than did the A&E show. >>

          There's a 1946 book by L. Sprague de Camp and Catherine C. de Camp (his late
          wife) called _Citadels of Mystery_ (a.k.a. _Ancient Ruins and Archaeology_)
          which is about similar things.

          Wendell Wagner
        • LSolarion@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
            In a message dated 09/10/2000 12:10:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            Stolzi@... writes:

            << the trailers have
            suggested that the idea of Atlantis was behind some of the seafaring of
            Columbus and others.

            That's typical media hype. Columbus was looking for a better route to the
            profitable spice trade of the far east; I'd be surprised if he had even heard
            of Atlantis.
            I have always personally thought the most fascinating lesson we can learn
            about Atlantis and its cousins Mu and Lemuria is the degree to which wishful
            thinking and fancy can overrun reason and knowledge in so many. What other
            subject has spun so vast and detailed a web of nothing out of so little
            knowledge?
          • LSolarion@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
              In a message dated 09/11/2000 11:25:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
              Stolzi@... writes:

              << dispatching them with a good deal more skepticism than did the A&E show.

              A&E will only embrace skepticism when it improves their ratings (which it
              will never do, at least not in this anti-rational age). For the forseeable
              (sans crystal balls and tarot cards) future, I think they will go for the
              sensationalized pseudo-mystical mind-candy it churns out at present.
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
                In a message dated 09/14/2000 8:09:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
                LSolarion@... writes:

                > Columbus was looking for a better route to the
                > profitable spice trade of the far east; I'd be surprised if he had even
                > heard
                > of Atlantis.

                Actually according to the show, he was interested in an island, said to be
                out there, called "Antillia." Which I suppose today's Antilles are named
                for.

                Mary S
              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
                  In a message dated 09/14/2000 9:09:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  LSolarion@... writes:

                  << What other subject has spun so vast and detailed a web of nothing out of
                  so little
                  knowledge? >>

                  Well, there's always the Holy Grail. But the Atlantis stuff is vast indeed.

                  Lizzie
                • Juliet Blosser
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 17, 2000
                    > <<Then the part about Columbus gave us the popular myth of the Evil Spanish
                    > Inquisition out with torches against anyone who had New Ideas - like
                    > Columbus.>>
                    >
                    > The Spanish Inquisition? I would never have expected them in a documentary
                    > about a search for Atlantis. <g>

                    <montypython>NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!</montypython>