The Man Born Blind / Light

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2012
      Apparently the book linked to below prints for the first time "Light", the revised text of the C. S. Lewis short story better known in its earlier form, "The Man Born Blind".

      Came across this yesterday and was surprised not to have heard of its coming out. Has anyone here read it?

      Sounds as if some of the ideas expressed therein might make for an interesting contrast with JRRT's ideas re. "splintered light".

      Here's the link:

      http://www.amazon.com/Light-Lewiss-First-Final-Short/dp/1936294214/ref=pd_ys_ir_b_25

      --John R.
    • Linda DeMars
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2012
        I haven't read it, but this past summer I heard it read-acted as part of a performance by Tom Key "An Evening With C.S. Lewis." Very moving.  I would like to read it.

        Linda DeMars

        Tom Key lives here in Atlanta, Georgia. He has written and performed several two or three person shows based on THE LION AND THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE,  and,  I think,  THE SILVER CHAIR. He also wrote and produced THE COTTON PATCH GOSPEL based on the book by Millard ?. Probably more plays written and produced that I can't think of.

        On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM, John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

        Apparently the book linked to below prints for the first time "Light", the revised text of the C. S. Lewis short story better known in its earlier form, "The Man Born Blind".

        Came across this yesterday and was surprised not to have heard of its coming out. Has anyone here read it?

        Sounds as if some of the ideas expressed therein might make for an interesting contrast with JRRT's ideas re. "splintered light".

        Here's the link:

        http://www.amazon.com/Light-Lewiss-First-Final-Short/dp/1936294214/ref=pd_ys_ir_b_25

        --John R.

      • CHRISTOPHER, DR. JOE R.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2012
          To John Rateliff:

          I've read _Light: C. S. Lewis's First and Final Short Story_. It was first available at the co-conference of the C. S. Lewis and inklings Society and the Eighth Ewbank Colloquium on C. S. Lewis on Friends last May 31-June 2 at Taylor University, Upland, Indiana, which is where I purchased my copy. Charlie W. Starr does a very good job of presenting the evidence about the story and arguing that it is by Lewis (since Lindskoog suggested it wasn't). Oddly enough, although Lindskoog is mentioned in footnotes, her writings being referred do not appear in the bibliography. Presumably Starr doesn't want to give publicity to them, since he writes in the footnote on p. 20 that Lindskoog's "arguments have been thoroughly refuted"; that is not correct about all of them. But I think Starr does an excellent job of showing Lindskoog was wrong about "The Man Born Blind."

          --Joe