Re: [mythsoc] Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin!

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
      Gerry:
          If you're a Tolkien type (as so many of us on this list are), then a good place to start might be the two short stories "THE RULE OF NAMES" and "THE WORD OF UNBINDING", both in the collection THE WIND'S TWELVE QUARTERS.
         --JDR

      On Oct 18, 2012, at 5:28 AM, Gerry Blair wrote:
      Even though I have not read any of her work (I did start the first book but had to return it to the library before I had a chance to finish it, and was too busy at the time to continue) I would love to own these and be able to read them at my leisure. While reading and learning about Tolkien her name comes up often. Thanks for this opportunity.
      Gerry Blair

    • Joshua Ellis
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012

        On Oct 17, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

        Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin, Earthsea, and free stuff! . . . leave a reply here to enter the random drawing. Tell us what you like about Le Guin and/or Earthsea, leave a reminiscence about the first time you read her books, or whatever else you might like to share.

        Until a few months ago, I had never read any of Le Guin’s fiction. I knew who she was, of course. I’d read her writing book _Steering the Craft_ on the recommendation of a friend many years ago. But she was one of those authors on my when-I-get-around-to-it list. While looking for reading material to accompany me on a recent move across the country, I chose _Left Hand of Darkness_. I thought it was brilliant. When we settled in our new home, I decided to try _Wizard of Earthsea_, and over the last few weeks have finished the first three Earthsea books, and am relishing my journey through the fourth. Her fiction conveys a love of language and of the craft of story telling that I find quite engrossing.

        --
        Joshua Ellis
        http://about.me/joshua.ellis

      • Paola Castagno

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
            Haven't read them. Would sure like to! Fingers crossed!

            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            From: visualweasel@...
            Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:05:00 -0700
            Subject: [mythsoc] Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin!

            Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin, Earthsea, and free stuff! Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Simon & Schuster have worked together to produce a brand new set of all six Earthsea books with beautiful new art and packaging. Thanks to their k
            indness, we have a set to give away to a fan. For the next 24 hours, leave a reply here to enter the random drawing. Tell us what you like about Le Guin and/or Earthsea, leave a reminiscence about the first time you read her books, or whatever else you might like to share. We'll take the names of everyone who leaves a comment on this thread by 12:00 PM PST Thursday, October 18, and randomly pick a winner. Good luck!

            See the new set here:

            Best,
            Jason
            Editor, Mythprint

          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
              We have a winner for the Le Guin Earthsea giveaway. Congratulations to R.J. Anderson! And thanks to everyone for participating. :)

              Best,
              Jason