Re: [mythsoc] Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin!

  • Christopher Couch
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
      In the same year, I got to hear Ursula K LeGuin lecture and take a class with her brother, Romantic Literature critic Karl Kroeber.  As I'm sure many of you know, the sister and brother were the children of famous anthropologists.  Both LeGuin and Kroeber were phenomenal to experience.  Some writers can't lecture.  Ursula K LeGuin can.  It was the kind of experience in which an attendee feels that every word is being directed to her or him.  Full of enthusiasm and hope for the future, LeGuin nonetheless spoke practically, even adjuringly, about our choices today, individually and collectively.  I was in graduate school at the time, which is how I got to study with Karl Kroeber.  What a knowledgeable, respectful man.  Our theme was Romantic Literary History, and own our own critical time fell between fading modernism and nascent post-modernism.  Karl helped us appreciate both and all perspectives regarding Romantic literature and its legacy (so much more than ruined castles and lovelorn-vampire movies), perspectives and lessons for those of us steeped in the literature or not.  For any of us.  For all of us.  The class was small and long, which was my favorite way to be in a class back then.  (I was privileged to study Old English that way.)  I often remember Kroeber's kindly presence that was also authoritative.  How do you pull all that off?  I guess by being part of a family legacy that strives to understand the world--and have the world learn--through ways that combine the literary and the cultural.

      Well done, Ursula and Karl.  And what a year was that year that was.

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
        Gerry:
            If you're a Tolkien type (as so many of us on this list are), then a good place to start might be the two short stories "THE RULE OF NAMES" and "THE WORD OF UNBINDING", both in the collection THE WIND'S TWELVE QUARTERS.
           --JDR

        On Oct 18, 2012, at 5:28 AM, Gerry Blair wrote:
        Even though I have not read any of her work (I did start the first book but had to return it to the library before I had a chance to finish it, and was too busy at the time to continue) I would love to own these and be able to read them at my leisure. While reading and learning about Tolkien her name comes up often. Thanks for this opportunity.
        Gerry Blair

      • Joshua Ellis
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012

          On Oct 17, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

          Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin, Earthsea, and free stuff! . . . leave a reply here to enter the random drawing. Tell us what you like about Le Guin and/or Earthsea, leave a reminiscence about the first time you read her books, or whatever else you might like to share.

          Until a few months ago, I had never read any of Le Guin’s fiction. I knew who she was, of course. I’d read her writing book _Steering the Craft_ on the recommendation of a friend many years ago. But she was one of those authors on my when-I-get-around-to-it list. While looking for reading material to accompany me on a recent move across the country, I chose _Left Hand of Darkness_. I thought it was brilliant. When we settled in our new home, I decided to try _Wizard of Earthsea_, and over the last few weeks have finished the first three Earthsea books, and am relishing my journey through the fourth. Her fiction conveys a love of language and of the craft of story telling that I find quite engrossing.

          --
          Joshua Ellis
          http://about.me/joshua.ellis

        • Paola Castagno

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
              Haven't read them. Would sure like to! Fingers crossed!

              To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                We have a winner for the Le Guin Earthsea giveaway. Congratulations to R.J. Anderson! And thanks to everyone for participating. :)

                Best,
                Jason