Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin!

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 17, 2012
      Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin, Earthsea, and free stuff! Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Simon & Schuster have worked together to produce a brand new set of all six Earthsea books with beautiful new art and packaging. Thanks to their k
      indness, we have a set to give away to a fan. For the next 24 hours, leave a reply here to enter the random drawing. Tell us what you like about Le Guin and/or Earthsea, leave a reminiscence about the first time you read her books, or whatever else you might like to share. We'll take the names of everyone who leaves a comment on this thread by 12:00 PM PST Thursday, October 18, and randomly pick a winner. Good luck!

      See the new set here:

      Best,
      Jason
      Editor, Mythprint
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 17, 2012
        Hi Jason,

        A reply on the list? A Mythsoc only drawing? How exciting!

        I've enjoyed all of the (limited amount of) Le Guin I've read, and I've been meaning to fill the gaps in my knowledge of her work. The most powerful piece of hers that I've read is the ubiquitous "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas." It's a story that spawned an important paper (personally) in my college career, and it has continued to crop up in SFF conversations about ethics and morality so many times since then, I'm always glad to be very familiar with it.

        In fact, I should go find the anthology I own that includes it and read it again.

        -Alana

        On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

        Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin, Earthsea, and free stuff! Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Simon & Schuster have worked together to produce a brand new set of all six Earthsea books with beautiful new art and packaging. Thanks to their k
        indness, we have a set to give away to a fan. For the next 24 hours, leave a reply here to enter the random drawing. Tell us what you like about Le Guin and/or Earthsea, leave a reminiscence about the first time you read her books, or whatever else you might like to share. We'll take the names of everyone who leaves a comment on this thread by 12:00 PM PST Thursday, October 18, and randomly pick a winner. Good luck!

        See the new set here:

        Best,
        Jason
        Editor, Mythprint

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
        Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets

      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 17, 2012
          Me!  Honestly, I've never read any of Le Guin's work, but I've long wanted to.  What a perfect opportunity to do so!

          Doug

          Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:05 AM
          Subject: [mythsoc] Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin!

          Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin, Earthsea, and free stuff! Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Simon & Schuster have worked together to produce a brand new set of all six Earthsea books with beautiful new art and packaging. Thanks to their k
          indness, we have a set to give away to a fan. For the next 24 hours, leave a reply here to enter the random drawing. Tell us what you like about Le Guin and/or Earthsea, leave a reminiscence about the first time you read her books, or whatever else you might like to share. We'll take the names of everyone who leaves a comment on this thread by 12:00 PM PST Thursday, October 18, and randomly pick a winner. Good luck!

          See the new set here:

          Best,
          Jason
          Editor, Mythprint

          No virus found in this message.

        • Kathleen Lamantia
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 17, 2012
            Please count me in for the drawing.

            I still remember the first time I read that series and what worlds it opened up for my imagination.

            Kathleen Lamantia

            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 17, 2012

              I’ll bite.  I first read The Wizard of Earthsea when I was about 15 (after Tolkien, but close to that same period), and immediately connected with Ged.  I already had a budding interest in languages, and loved Le Guin’s emphasis upon the true names of things.  I read the other Earthsea books after that, and have them on my list of titles I go back to when I need a familiar book to keep me company.

              Alana mentioned Le Guin’s story “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas.”  Last month I did a library instruction session for an English class on short stories, and I was thrilled that the professor wanted me to use it as an example when searching for secondary criticism—any excuse to teach a little Le Guin!

              David

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 17, 2012
                I first read Wizard when 21....sadly I was an ignorant lad until I started working in the public library in Seattle and then I was introduced to all manner of fantastic literature (referring to general lit and genre lit as it happens) outside my limited experience with the Inklings, classical and medieval lit, and the bible.  At the time there were only 2 other Earthsea books, the third not yet all that old at the time.  I devoured them; they were so different than anything else I had read.  I think especially after reading Tolkien, Barfield, and Lewis on words etc., I too was quite taken with the notion of "true names" and of course the hero who eschews glory in the end and returns Cincinnatus-like to his simple home away from the center of things.  I recently reread the original three, which I hold in greater esteem than the second three, though these have their charm as well, and was captivated all over again.  Away back then when I first encountered Ged and Earthsea, I put Le Guin on my list of authors to always read and began looking up other works by her.  I think even more than the Earthsea books I love _Left Hand of Darkness_ -what a great tale!
                --
                Larry Swain

[...]

                http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...

              • Travis Buchanan
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
                  Never read her. Would like to.

                  Travis

                  Not all those who wander are lost.
                                          - J. R. R. Tolkien

                  On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

                  Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin, Earthsea, and free stuff! Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Simon & Schuster have worked together to produce a brand new set of all six Earthsea books with beautiful new art and packaging. Thanks to their k
                  indness, we have a set to give away to a fan. For the next 24 hours, leave a reply here to enter the random drawing. Tell us what you like about Le Guin and/or Earthsea, leave a reminiscence about the first time you read her books, or whatever else you might like to share. We'll take the names of everyone who leaves a comment on this thread by 12:00 PM PST Thursday, October 18, and randomly pick a winner. Good luck!

                  See the new set here:

                  Best,
                  Jason
                  Editor, Mythprint

                • Joseph Furolo

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
                      Even though I have not read any of her work (I did start the first book but had to return it to the library before I had a chance to finish it, and was too busy at the time to continue) I would love to own these and be able to read them at my leisure. While reading and learning about Tolkien her name comes up often. Thanks for this opportunity.
                      Gerry Blair

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
                        The impact that the original Earthsea trilogy -- particularly A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA and THE TOMBS OF ATUAN -- made on me as a young reader and aspiring author was enormous; nearly on a par with the influence of Lewis and Tolkien. In fact, the other day while reading my latest faery book aloud to my son, I could see exactly which bits of the story had sprung from my childhood reading of ATUAN, even though I wasn't consciously aware of the connection while I was writing it (and I don't think most readers would notice it unless I told them where to look).

                        As a child I found it hard to really appreciate THE FARTHEST SHORE: it is such a meditation on aging and death, and I think I'd get more out of it as an adult (note to self: re-read the original trilogy soon). And for the sake of full disclosure I'll admit to violently disliking TEHANU and having no desire to read it ever again, but that didn't keep me from reading and appreciating the fifth book when it came out, and if I'd realized there was a sixth I'd probably have read it a long time before now...

                        Thanks for giving us the chance to participate in this giveaway, Jason.
                        --
                        Rebecca
                        (R.J. Anderson)

                        --
                        Forget everything you think you know about faeries...

                        KNIFE (2009) | REBEL (2010) | ARROW (2011)
                        SWIFT (March 2012)
                        by R.J. Anderson

                      • Christopher Couch
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
                          In the same year, I got to hear Ursula K LeGuin lecture and take a class with her brother, Romantic Literature critic Karl Kroeber.  As I'm sure many of you know, the sister and brother were the children of famous anthropologists.  Both LeGuin and Kroeber were phenomenal to experience.  Some writers can't lecture.  Ursula K LeGuin can.  It was the kind of experience in which an attendee feels that every word is being directed to her or him.  Full of enthusiasm and hope for the future, LeGuin nonetheless spoke practically, even adjuringly, about our choices today, individually and collectively.  I was in graduate school at the time, which is how I got to study with Karl Kroeber.  What a knowledgeable, respectful man.  Our theme was Romantic Literary History, and own our own critical time fell between fading modernism and nascent post-modernism.  Karl helped us appreciate both and all perspectives regarding Romantic literature and its legacy (so much more than ruined castles and lovelorn-vampire movies), perspectives and lessons for those of us steeped in the literature or not.  For any of us.  For all of us.  The class was small and long, which was my favorite way to be in a class back then.  (I was privileged to study Old English that way.)  I often remember Kroeber's kindly presence that was also authoritative.  How do you pull all that off?  I guess by being part of a family legacy that strives to understand the world--and have the world learn--through ways that combine the literary and the cultural.

                          Well done, Ursula and Karl.  And what a year was that year that was.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
                            Gerry:
                                If you're a Tolkien type (as so many of us on this list are), then a good place to start might be the two short stories "THE RULE OF NAMES" and "THE WORD OF UNBINDING", both in the collection THE WIND'S TWELVE QUARTERS.
                               --JDR

                            On Oct 18, 2012, at 5:28 AM, Gerry Blair wrote:
                            Even though I have not read any of her work (I did start the first book but had to return it to the library before I had a chance to finish it, and was too busy at the time to continue) I would love to own these and be able to read them at my leisure. While reading and learning about Tolkien her name comes up often. Thanks for this opportunity.
                            Gerry Blair

                          • Joshua Ellis
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012

                              On Oct 17, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

                              Attention, fans of Ursula K. Le Guin, Earthsea, and free stuff! . . . leave a reply here to enter the random drawing. Tell us what you like about Le Guin and/or Earthsea, leave a reminiscence about the first time you read her books, or whatever else you might like to share.

                              Until a few months ago, I had never read any of Le Guin’s fiction. I knew who she was, of course. I’d read her writing book _Steering the Craft_ on the recommendation of a friend many years ago. But she was one of those authors on my when-I-get-around-to-it list. While looking for reading material to accompany me on a recent move across the country, I chose _Left Hand of Darkness_. I thought it was brilliant. When we settled in our new home, I decided to try _Wizard of Earthsea_, and over the last few weeks have finished the first three Earthsea books, and am relishing my journey through the fourth. Her fiction conveys a love of language and of the craft of story telling that I find quite engrossing.

                              --
                              Joshua Ellis
                              http://about.me/joshua.ellis

                            • Paola Castagno

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 18, 2012
                                  Haven't read them. Would sure like to! Fingers crossed!

                                  To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                                    We have a winner for the Le Guin Earthsea giveaway. Congratulations to R.J. Anderson! And thanks to everyone for participating. :)

                                    Best,
                                    Jason