Mystical Realms Newsletter for October, 2012

  • jef.murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11 11:45 AM

      And welcome to my newsletter for October, 2012! Please feel free to forward this to anyone you think would be interested in keeping up with me! To receive these newsletters regularly, please drop me an email or subscribe online from my website (http://www.JefMurray.com ) or at: http://groups.google.com/group/Mystical_Realms . Notices of events and items of interest are at the bottom of this email.

      Pitchers ===============

      The Jef Murray 2013 Middle-earth Calendar is now available! Featuring one large painting image and one smaller "watermarked" painting image per month, this Middle-earth themed calendar includes moon phases, international holidays, plus over 18 "Easter Egg" images that reference significant events of interest to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" aficionados. The calendar is $16.95 plus shipping, and can be mailed anywhere internationally (see www.JefMurray.com for details).

      Ponderings ==============

      The Utter East

      When e're the road flows by my door

      And beckons loudly in its haste

      to sweep me off through mist and moor

      unto some rich uncharted waste,

      I feel that tug of tempting fate:

      September hailing from her hills,

      insisting secret paths await

      all souls who seek to shed life's ills.

      And so, on glowing eventide

      I don my cloak and down the track

      I pass, not knowing what might hide

      in hedge or brake to turn me back

      into the orbit of my life:

      the one that now I seek to shed.

      I may be courting untold strife,

      but to such ventures I am led.

      And so I jump the turnstile whence

      the road resumes its onward march

      past field and furrow, fen and fence,

      through oak and hazel, pine and larch.

      Soon sorrows fade and I embrace

      that mystic sparseness that beguiles

      those who would fain their fears outpace.

      Over hills I swiftly stride

      then pause and harken to some sound

      pursuing me; but who would ride

      this night through copse and barren ground?

      Yet padded footfalls nearer fall,

      their maker hidden in the murk

      and clammy mists that cover all

      the fetid glens where fell things lurk.

      I panic, though I know not why,

      and seek to flee this stalwart shade

      that mocks my steps as forth I hie.

      I plunge headlong through grove and glade,

      terror stricken as I seek

      to shake this specter from my track;

      yet, I consider that I'm weak,

      unable to withstand attack.

      Then I remember deepest faith

      that whispers aye of blessed themes

      and counsels that no shade or wraith

      might overcome baptismal streams.

      And so I turn and trust that fate

      will fend me from the wicked wight

      that closes fast with quickened gait

      to bring some crowning to this night.

      But then, in glint of silver moon,

      from lo, beyond the sylvan shade

      a figure lopes, and light of noon

      precedes its steps into the glade.

      It stops and shakes a gilded mane

      and roars; the echoes of that blast

      sting ear and heart. Thus evil's bane

      must ever conquer sin at last.

      I stand transfixed as if in stone;

      trapped, I fear what doom resounding

      comes, commanding flesh and bone.

      This grand lord, glory surrounding

      his great visage, brimming grace,

      approaches gently, eyes downcast

      until we both stand face to face.

      He then lifts up his noble head

      and I descry beneath those pools

      of emerald wisdom, tears unshed

      have welled; what evil, think I, fuels

      such anguish in this noble breast?

      He turns away, and passes on;

      but like a moth by dusk oppressed,

      I, to this glorious Light, am drawn.

      I puzzle then, and hesitate;

      my will to flee my life recedes,

      but I, to seize my destined fate,

      sense I must fare where this king leads.

      I turn and gaze into the night

      the road is straight, yet to one side

      I see a trail that strays from sight

      into the rugged waste, untried

      by any traveler. There he

      has turned aside and makes his way

      down bramble-laden tracks; I see

      that black path does not him dismay.

      So I, too, take the thorn-filled trail;

      this doom I choose not to evade.

      Through wind and thunder, smoke and hail,

      I bear all, yet am not afraid

      of pressing shades that quail and shrink

      from sight as I, with this warden,

      persevere. And soon I think

      of coming dawn, and my burden

      rests much lighter; could it be

      that these torments relent at last?

      I scan the rugged trail and see

      him scale the heights; he courses fast

      to greet the coming dawn. `Tis meet

      that I continue in his wake

      for, though alone, my feet are fleet,

      and soon the promised day will break.

      So then, on glowing morning-tide

      I lift mine eyes unto the pass

      ahead, aware that this divide

      my life would take, should I trespass

      beyond it to be with my king.

      So, here I shall steadfastly wait,

      for his command, my soul to bring

      unto that land and through that gate.

      • My first book, "Seer: A Wizard's Journal", has been formally released as the inaugural offering from Oloris Publishing, a new imprint of the Middle-earth Network (www.mymiddleearth.com). Oloris is dedicated to bringing new multimedia works to fantasy, mythology, and sci-fi fans worldwide, and I am honored to have had "Seer" chosen as their first publication. You can learn more than you'd likely ever want to know about Oloris, and about "Seer", by clicking on of the following link: http://olorispublishing.mymiddleearth.com/

      • A frame-able full-sized poster/print of my painting Home Again is now available in the Middle-earth Network Store ( http://store.mymiddleearth.com ). This is among the first offerings of the store, and the works of many talented artists, writers, musicians, actors, etc. will be featured there over time. Do take a look!