Re: The Fall of Arthur publication date

  • drussy
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
      It seems that The One Ring have received it from a certain David, they thanks in their article : "thanks to David for sending us the update!" Possibly David Brawn ?

      Vivien

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

      > I just saw on theonering.net that Harper Collins has announced that The Fall of Arthur will be published in the UK on May 23, 2013 (and in Australia on May 1, 2013). No word on a U.S. publication date, at least that I have seen.
      >
      > http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/79908/the-fall-of-arthur-j-r-r-tolkien-9780007489947
      >
      > ToRN also posted a picture of the cover, though that doesn't seem to be from the Harper Collins announcement, and I'm not quite sure where they got it:
      >
      > http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fall-of-arthur.jpg

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
        Date unknown, but a U.S. edition is definitely coming. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt announced its acquisition of the rights yesterday (thanks to Doug Anderson for the news):

        Best,
        Jason

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
          Good to know, though not surprising.  Of course, they did not pick up the rights to other important works like the extended editions of Smith of Wootton Major and Tolkien on Fairy Stories, but this is another level beyond that, being a previously unreleased work by Tolkien.  I would have been shocked to if HMH had not picked it up.

          Doug

          Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 10:19 AM
          Subject: Re: [mythsoc] The Fall of Arthur publication date

          Date unknown, but a U.S. edition is definitely coming. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt announced its acquisition of the rights yesterday (thanks to Doug Anderson for the news):

          Best,
          Jason

          I just saw on theonering.net that Harper Collins has announced that The Fall of Arthur will be published in the UK on May 23, 2013 (and in Australia on May 1, 2013).  No word on a U.S. publication date, at least that I have seen.

          http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/79908/the-fall-of-arthur-j-r-r-tolkien-9780007489947

          ToRN also posted a picture of the cover, though that doesn't seem to be from the Harper Collins announcement, and I'm not quite sure where they got it:

          http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fall-of-arthur.jpg

          No virus found in this message.

        • Doug Kane
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
            Almatolmen at theonering.com (all these similarly named sites!) notes that Amazon.com now has two listings, one for a hardcover, and the other for a hardcover deluxe edition, with a May 23, 2012 release date:

            However, that link shows Harper Collins as the publisher, not HMH.

            Doug

            Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 10:19 AM

            Date unknown, but a U.S. edition is definitely coming. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt announced its acquisition of the rights yesterday (thanks to Doug Anderson for the news):

            Best,
            Jason

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012

              does any one know when or even if this book will be coming out in audio book format? from Mich.

              Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 10:19 AM

              Date unknown, but a U.S. edition is definitely coming. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt announced its acquisition of the rights yesterday (thanks to Doug Anderson for the news):

              Best,
              Jason

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                I don't think there has been any announcement as of yet, but I would be disappointed if there wasn't one.  I would suspect that one factor would be whether the Sigurd audiobook did okay.  If very few people bought that, the publishers might think twice about investing in one for The Fall of Arthur.  But I can't think of anything that cries out more for an audio book than a long alliterative poem like this.

                Doug

                Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 10:19 AM

                Date unknown, but a U.S. edition is definitely coming. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt announced its acquisition of the rights yesterday (thanks to Doug Anderson for the news):

                Best,
                Jason

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                  It's my understanding that there was no SIGURD & GUDRUN audiobook; hence I assume there won't be a FALL OF ARTHUR audiobook either. Too bad: I really enjoy listening to alliterative verse and narrative verse read aloud.
                     Perhaps, Mich, you could find a reading party to celebrate the book's release? I know I attended a gathering of the kind at a not-quite local bookstore when CHILDREN OF HURIN came out. Good luck!
                  --John R. (who's already pre-ordered his copy)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                    There was, actually, John, performed by the actor Brian Cox.  I'm not sure, however, that it was ever sold here in the U.S.   It might have only been sold in the UK.

                    Here is the Amazon.co.uk link (though out of stock):

                    Check out the video of Brian Cox doing some of the reading on that page.

                    Doug

                    does any one know when or even if this book will be coming out in audio book format? from Mich.
                    __

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • Wayne G. Hammond
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                      There was, actually, John, performed by the actor Brian Cox.  I'm not sure, however, that it was ever sold here in the U.S.   It might have only been sold in the UK.

                      It was produced but seems never to have been released, anywhere. (We don't know why it was never released.) We kept watch for it on Amazon UK, but it was never in stock, and although there's a preliminary record for the audiobook on Worldcat, no libraries are listed as owning a copy.

                      Wayne & Christina
                    • Doug Kane
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                        Ah, okay. I always assumed it had been released over there. My bad.

                        Doug

                        "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

                        There was, actually, John, performed by the actor Brian Cox.  I'm not sure, however, that it was ever sold here in the U.S.   It might have only been sold in the UK.

                        It was produced but seems never to have been released, anywhere. (We don't know why it was never released.) We kept watch for it on Amazon UK, but it was never in stock, and although there's a preliminary record for the audiobook on Worldcat, no libraries are listed as owning a copy.

                        Wayne & Christina

                      • ernestsdavis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
                          To revive a thread from a year ago: Amazon (both US and UK) now lists a publication date of May 23, 2013.
                          -- Ernie