Re: Hobbit trailer - earlier aesthetic influences

  • lord_of_the_teleri
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 24 6:32 AM
      Hi everyone,

      I haven't had the time to have a closer look at the links provided for this discussion but off the top off my head Ted Nasmith' images do very well come to mind - particularly the "parting shot" of Boromir's death with Aragorn embracing him; an almost 1-to-1 rendering by PJ.

      It might be worth asking René van Rossenberg about this as he has, according to legend, sent a fairly huge parcel with basically every art publication available at the time to a certain director at the end of the nineties (the bulk being Lee, Howe, Nasmith). Not that he couldn't have found out from other sources but I do believe that the early stages of such a project may very well influence the overall outcome, even it it may take several years to finish.

      I had been impressed with most advance material of the LotR film trilogy at the time but the trailers on the Hobbit, especially the most recent one, have been underwhelming; the aesthetics are too much LotR -2.0 to me. I may not be a fan of del Toro but he would have brought a fresh approach to this project which could have given it the edge that is not PJ, PJ, PJ.

      The Hobbit isn't the prequel to the Lord of the Rings; the Lord of the Rings is a sequel to the Hobbit. Unfortunately, history has reversed their positions which will lead (and has already led) to many misunderstandings - including the upcoming Hobbit film trilogy.

      Best wishes,

      Marcel Aubron-Bülles