Re: [mythsoc] The Zimmerman Commentary

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2012
      Yes and no. If you mean available online or reprinted in a book you can buy, then no, I don't think so. But Marquette University has a copy of the treatment annotated by Tolkien. With permission, you could make a visit and read it. You might also be interested in Janet Brennan Croft's paper on the subject: "Three Rings for Hollywood: Scripts for The Lord of the Rings by Zimmerman, Boorman, and Beagle", which you can read here: http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft/Papers/977728/

      Best,
      Jason

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2012

        Thanks for the plug, Jason. Yes, I don’t believe that the letters or the script annotations have ever been published in their entirety. There’s a lot of fascinating stuff at the archives. I was contacted by Chris Conkling a few years ago – he said there were additional drafts of the pre-Beagle Bakshi script besides the one I saw, and I wonder if he ever donated them to Marquette as he said he’d planned to?

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Associate Professor
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries
        Bizzell 106NW
        Norman OK 73019
        405-325-1918
        Fax 405-325-7618
        jbcroft@...
        http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

        http://libraries.ou.edu/
        Editor of Mythlore
        http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

        “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

        Yes and no. If you mean available online or reprinted in a book you can buy, then no, I don't think so. But Marquette University has a copy of the treatment annotated by Tolkien. With permission, you could make a visit and read it. You might also be interested in Janet Brennan Croft's paper on the subject: "Three Rings for Hollywood: Scripts for The Lord of the Rings by Zimmerman, Boorman, and Beagle", which you can read here: http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft/Papers/977728/

        Best,

        Jason

        Does anyone know if the complete text of JRRT's commentary on Morton Grady Zimmerman's proposed film treatment, published in part as Letter no. 210, is available anywhere for readers?

      • IcelofAngeln
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2012
          Jason, Janet, thanks very much. Unfortunately I doubt I'll be in Milwaukee any time soon. But Janet, your article was fascinating.