The Zimmerman Commentary

  • IcelofAngeln
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2012
      Does anyone know if the complete text of JRRT's commentary on Morton Grady Zimmerman's proposed film treatment, published in part as Letter no. 210, is available anywhere for readers?
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 23, 2012
        Yes and no. If you mean available online or reprinted in a book you can buy, then no, I don't think so. But Marquette University has a copy of the treatment annotated by Tolkien. With permission, you could make a visit and read it. You might also be interested in Janet Brennan Croft's paper on the subject: "Three Rings for Hollywood: Scripts for The Lord of the Rings by Zimmerman, Boorman, and Beagle", which you can read here: http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft/Papers/977728/

        Best,
        Jason

        Does anyone know if the complete text of JRRT's commentary on Morton Grady Zimmerman's proposed film treatment, published in part as Letter no. 210, is available anywhere for readers?

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2012

          Thanks for the plug, Jason. Yes, I don’t believe that the letters or the script annotations have ever been published in their entirety. There’s a lot of fascinating stuff at the archives. I was contacted by Chris Conkling a few years ago – he said there were additional drafts of the pre-Beagle Bakshi script besides the one I saw, and I wonder if he ever donated them to Marquette as he said he’d planned to?

          Janet Brennan Croft

          Associate Professor
          Head of Access Services
          University of Oklahoma Libraries
          Bizzell 106NW
          Norman OK 73019
          405-325-1918
          Fax 405-325-7618
          jbcroft@...
          http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

          http://libraries.ou.edu/
          Editor of Mythlore
          http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

          “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 25, 2012
            Jason, Janet, thanks very much. Unfortunately I doubt I'll be in Milwaukee any time soon. But Janet, your article was fascinating.