Re: Hobbit trailer

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 20, 2012
      --- "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:
      >> As for other artists, I can't offhand thing of any
      >> other Tolkien artists, fan or pro, whose work the
      >> movies' visual style strongly resembles, except in
      >> a general way. (Dramatic mountains are going to look
      >> like dramatic mountains no matter who draws them;
      >> pseudo-medieval traveling clothes all have a vague
      >> resemblance; Tolkien's descriptions of Bag End or
      >> Gollum are enough to guide many, though far from all,
      >> artists in a specific general direction; etc.)

      There's a web page, apparently dating to early in 2006, that is devoted to the proposition that Jackson's movies borrowed some of Ted Nasmith's images without credit:

      http://tednasmith.narod.ru/

      Some comment on the subject appears halfway down the following page (see the second part of question E) from a twelve-part discussion, later that year, of the "Designing Middle-earth" DVD feature:

      http://users.bestweb.net/~jfgm/MovieDesignTTT/01ConceptDesigners.htm

      And here is further attention to and doubt about the claim, at a little more length (if a bit self-contradictory on my part, I see!), from a different discussion in 2008:

      http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=76579#76579

      -Merlin
    • IcelofAngeln
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 20, 2012

        > That was true of the LOTR films as well. Chunks of dialogue actually from
        > the book, as opposed to loosely paraphrased, stood out like little nuggets.

        Little nuggets of gold in a matrix of iron pyrite (and a fair amount of mylar)

        It's absolutely amazing how much everything elevates in those moments where PBJ actually give us Genuine Tolkien Text (tm).
      • James Curcio
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 20, 2012

          Yes, it can be quite noticeable

          On Sep 20, 2012 10:28 PM, "IcelofAngeln" <solicitr@...> wrote:

          > That was true of the LOTR films as well. Chunks of dialogue actually from
          > the book, as opposed to loosely paraphrased, stood out like little nuggets.

          Little nuggets of gold in a matrix of iron pyrite (and a fair amount of mylar)

          It's absolutely amazing how much everything elevates in those moments where PBJ actually give us Genuine Tolkien Text (tm).

        • lord_of_the_teleri
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 24, 2012
            Hi everyone,

            I haven't had the time to have a closer look at the links provided for this discussion but off the top off my head Ted Nasmith' images do very well come to mind - particularly the "parting shot" of Boromir's death with Aragorn embracing him; an almost 1-to-1 rendering by PJ.

            It might be worth asking René van Rossenberg about this as he has, according to legend, sent a fairly huge parcel with basically every art publication available at the time to a certain director at the end of the nineties (the bulk being Lee, Howe, Nasmith). Not that he couldn't have found out from other sources but I do believe that the early stages of such a project may very well influence the overall outcome, even it it may take several years to finish.

            I had been impressed with most advance material of the LotR film trilogy at the time but the trailers on the Hobbit, especially the most recent one, have been underwhelming; the aesthetics are too much LotR -2.0 to me. I may not be a fan of del Toro but he would have brought a fresh approach to this project which could have given it the edge that is not PJ, PJ, PJ.

            The Hobbit isn't the prequel to the Lord of the Rings; the Lord of the Rings is a sequel to the Hobbit. Unfortunately, history has reversed their positions which will lead (and has already led) to many misunderstandings - including the upcoming Hobbit film trilogy.

            Best wishes,

            Marcel Aubron-Bülles