CFP-Mythcon 44: Green and Growing: The Land and its Inhabitants in Fantasy Literature

  • Leslie A. Donovan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2012
      It's that time again! Please start considering the wonderful topics you would like to present on at the next Mythcon. For more details, see the attached flyer or contact me at my email address below.

      Call for Papers:
      Mythopoeic Society Conference 44
      Green and Growing: The Land and its Inhabitants in Fantasy Literature
      Kellogg Conference Center, Michigan State University
      East Lansing, MI • July 12-15, 2013
      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/44/

      How does mythopoeic literature address the relationship between the land and its inhabitants, between the wild and the cultivated? What are their respective moral values, their dangers and delights? Tangled forests, majestic trees, ordered fields, carefully tended gardens; or untamed, wild beauty: each offers a different kind of bounty to those who would live off the land. What role do advocates and protectors of the land play in fantasy literature, particularly as personified in characters such as Yavanna, Radagast, Sam Gamgee and, of course, Tom Bombadil.

      Our theme also voices many a cautionary tale-- Tolkien's Dead Marshes, the scouring of the Shire, the desolations of Smaug, Saruman and Sauron, the unnatural winter in Narnia-- inviting eco-critical approaches to mythopoeic literature. From the whimsical wild places of Baum, Seuss  and Sendak; to the mysterious and often tutelary landscapes of Orwell, Garner and Burroughs-- not to mention those of our favorite Inklings-- we invite papers on any aspect of the green and growing land in mythopoeic writing.

      Papers and panels dealing with the conference themes (or other themes sparked in your brain by this topic) are encouraged. As always, we especially welcome proposals for papers and panels focusing on the work and interests of the Inklings (especially J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams), of our Guests of Honor, and of other fantasy authors and themes. Papers and panels from a variety of critical perspectives and disciplines are welcome.

      Paper and panel proposals (250 word maximum), along with contact information, should be sent to the appropriate Papers or Panels Coordinator at the following email addresses by 30 April 2013. AV and technology requests must be included in your proposal.

      Papers Coordinator -- Dr. Leslie A. Donovan, Associate Professor, University of New Mexico
      ldonovan@...

      Panels Coordinator -- Dr. Judith J. Kollman, Professor Emerita, University of Michigan- Flint
      jkollman@...

      Leslie A. Donovan
      University Honors Program
      MSC06 3890