Re: [mythsoc] Re: Edouard Kloczko

  • Andrew Higgins
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 12, 2012
      To All

      Really not clear how Edouard can make this claim as he is not one of the group who
      Christopher Tolkien entrusted with publishing his father's linguistic papers through VT and Parma. I have seen some of Edouard's language work on Facebook and from what I can read in
      French it seems to be a lot of restating of what is in the Etymologies with some "interesting" highly speculative reconstruction theories (a fun parlor game to play but not sure where it gets us)

      For my current Tolkien Phd work of which one aspect focuses in on the earliest versions of the languages, I am sticking to the materials published and expertly edited by the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship lead by Carl Hostetter, Patrick Wynne, Christopher Gilson and Arden Smith as they have seen copies of the actual documents and have discussed them with Christopher.  Until I can see the actually Qenya Lexicon and Silmarillion papers (which will probably be like never) I will rely on the incredible work this group has done and is doing on these papers and also the very helpful editorial (not interpretations) they provide in each volume,

      They for me are the guiding forces in
      Tolkien linguistics,

      Thanks Andy

      Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins

      Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
      Glyndebourne (andrew.higgins@...)
      and now a word from our supporters......
      http://glyndebourne.com/supporting-glyndebourne

      asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Facebook/Twitter
      Mobile 07500 827793
      And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

      On 12 Sep 2012, at 02:03, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      Does this mean that he didn't know anything about the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship?

      No, it does not. He knows about them, but its main publications, Vinyar Tengwar and Parma Eldalamberon, are entirely occupied with publishing primary material. I don't know whether Edouard knows about Tengwestië, which does offer the kind of articles he is thinking of, but that journal is also not regular by any definition. Its last published article is already four years old.

      Message 31 of 31 , May 25, 2013
        Good lord — Edouard has really gone off the rails. How sad, both for him personally, and for the unsuspecting reader who might not realize what hogwash Kloczko's book contains. Thank you for the excellent commentary.

        On May 25, 2013, at 8:01 AM, "David Giraudeau" <davidkiks@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        in order to clarify our comments (mine, but also those of Vincent Ferré or Vivien Stocker) on Edouard Kloczko's statements, behaviour and last book (Fr. "Le haut elfique pour les débutants", Eng. "High Elvish for Beginners"), I made a quick English translation of my study of this book.

        It is available here:

        http://lambenore.free.fr/downloads/HED_eng.pdf

        Cordially,

        David