Re: [mythsoc] A Hobbit Question

  • aveeris523@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
      "The Quest of Erebor: Gandalf's account of how he came to arrange the expedition to Erebor and send Bilbo and the Dwarves," which I read in The Annotated Hobbit (Appendix A), is a background story of Gandalf's larger strategy in rearranging the chessboard in Western Middle Earth. I think it would be worth reading for further insight into Tolkien's backstory linking The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings.

      Steve Gaddis
    • Mich
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2012
        does any one know if this apendix is in audio format some wair? as some one who has the hobbett unab but it doesn't have any apendix. now the lotr does on disk 14 of rotk but to my knollige it doesn't have any sutch account in it. from Mich.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2012
          Dear Mich
          Not available as audio that I know of; you need to find The book Unfinished
          Tales by JRRT or The Annotated Hobbit, second edition, by Douglas A. Anderson, or HME volume twelve.
          It's not in LotR, having been left out by Tolkien.
          Hope this helps.
          --  John R.

          does any one know if this apendix is in audio format some wair? as some one who has the hobbett unab but it doesn't have any apendix. now the lotr does on disk 14 of rotk but to my knollige it doesn't have any sutch account in it. from Mich.
          "The Quest of Erebor: Gandalf's account of how he came to arrange the expedition to Erebor and send Bilbo and the Dwarves," which I read in The Annotated Hobbit (Appendix A), is a background story of Gandalf's larger strategy in rearranging the chessboard in Western Middle Earth. I think it would be worth reading for further insight into Tolkien's backstory linking The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings.

          Steve Gaddis

        • Jeremy Edmonds

            does any one know if this apendix is in audio format some wair? as some one who has the hobbett unab but it doesn't have any apendix. now the lotr does on disk 14 of rotk but to my knollige it doesn't have any sutch account in it. from Mich.
            "The Quest of Erebor: Gandalf's account of how he came to arrange the expedition to Erebor and send Bilbo and the Dwarves," which I read in The Annotated Hobbit (Appendix A), is a background story of Gandalf's larger strategy in rearranging the chessboard in Western Middle Earth. I think it would be worth reading for further insight into Tolkien's backstory linking The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings.

            Steve Gaddis

          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2012
              Text-to-speech! I shudder to think what it would do with Tolkien's Elvish names!

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2012
                As do I, but the impression I am getting is that audio is Mich's only option.  For someone in that position, the other choices are to call you up and have you read Unfinished Tales to him, or just skip it all together.  :-)

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2012

                  yes as some one who uses a screen reader i am quite fimilier with text to speech programs. i to shudder to think what it would do to some of Tolkien's Elvish Names as well. I will check the cnib since I know they had a coppy of The Book of Lost Tales at one time. many thanks for this. from Mich.