Re: [mythsoc] The Hobbit film

  • aveeris523@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
      Thanks Paul!
           A very interesting timeline!

      Steve Gaddis
    • Andrew Higgins
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2012
        Paul

        This is a very interesting and helpful timeline,  I am about to do a complete re-read of John Rattlieff's The History of the Hobbit (my third time through) and Doug Anderson's Annotated Hobbit (have lost count of many times I have read this one)  for the current excellent Mythgard Institute History of the Hobbit course taught by Professor Corey Olsen and will keep this timeline in mind as I re-read it and see if any other connections can be made.

        Interesting that the name Legolas goes all the way back to The Fall of Gondolin and possibly Tuor A the ur  1916 text - his name also appears in The Name List to the Fall of Gondolin - wonder if there will be a moment in the film when Legolas sees Sting and recognizes where it comes from (flashback to The Fall of Gondolin with metallic tank like carriers carrying armies of Balrogs (who don't have wings!)  - no probably not as the Estate owns the Silmarillion material but one can dream - as long as their is not skateboarding off of the back of a Balrog!)

        Thanks Andy

        Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins

        Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
        Glyndebourne (andrew.higgins@...)
        and now a word from our supporters......
        http://glyndebourne.com/supporting-glyndebourne

        asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Facebook/Twitter
        Mobile 07500 827793
        And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2012
          This is a good summary of the information from LOTR's Appendices A and B
          regarding The Hobbit. Just a few things:

          1) As John Rateliff notes, Fili and Kili's birth years are given in the
          House of Durin family tree in Appendix A, the same place as gives Gimli's
          (and those of Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, and Dain). Kili, the
          younger of the two according to this tree, is 15 years older than Gimli.
          The Hobbit contradicts this, but in internal history I would take the family
          tree as definitive.

          2) If you're going to mention that Sauron was in Dol Guldur at the time, you
          should also mention that he was then known in the West as the Necromancer,
          and under that name is actually mentioned in The Hobbit, unlike Gimli,
          Aragorn, Arwen, Galadriel, Saruman, etc etc., none of whom Tolkien had
          invented yet.

          3) Which brings me to your edit about Legolas. Up to this point you've been
          writing "internal" history, that is, positing that Middle-earth existed, in
          the form that Tolkien left it. Now you switch to considering "external"
          history, that is, what Tolkien had written and had in mind at the time. I
          suggest using only one of these viewpoints at a time.

          As regards the questions in your separate post, I think your own choice of
          Gandalf's words for a signature block adequately responds to your question
          as to why Tolkien did not take these matters up.

          (Though I can't help but notice that you've used the very slightly different
          phrasing from the movie, rather than quoting directly from the book.
          (McKellen says "given to us"; Tolkien has "given us." Creeping
          Jacksonification!)

          David Bratman

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 13, 2012
            On this, I agree.  You only get one chance to see a movie for the first time.  This is why I'm going to see it tomorrow morning, and I don't think those who can't do so, or who don't place that quite high a priority on it, should be required to hide out from the list to avoid spoilers.

            Any more than I think that those who dislike the result should be required to hide out, either.